education expense deductions

Started by E.A. Poe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

E.A. Poe

the man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if there is some way to deduct educational expenses? Last summer I picked up a laptop for school with some accessories. I also paid the registration fee for the USMLE step 1, got books for school and boards, etc, etc. I'm having a hard time figuring out what type of stuff is legit.

thanks
 
I've always been told no to those things.
Our tax guy is totally on the up-and-up, however. I am sure there are people who do write that stuff off, but.....

We even found out that we couldn't write off step THREE expenses...even though I was already working. Can only write off specialty board expenses!