Education major with a dilemma...reapplying to med school!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simply8o8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got a job offer to teach middle school life science at an underprivileged school but I don't know if teaching would improve my chances over going to graduate school? I also got into the Molecular Bioscience and Bioengineering (MBBE) grad program at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. They said as long as I take the GRE before August, I am accepted. However, should I hold off applying to grad schools until December deadline and re-take the MCATs this August/September? Is 4 months enough prep time? Or should I take the GRE this summer, apply to other grad programs, and take the MCATs during grad school?

Thank you in advance for all your advice! I greatly appreciate it :D

Take the MBBE grad program, and I say that because if you can handle the work required of MBBE then that will further convince medical schools that you're able to handle the intense load of medical school. Study hard, retake the MCAT, and reapply this summer, 4 months is plenty of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response Dr. Aboody :) The MBBE program is a 2 year program...you suggested taking the MCAT and applying this summer. In your opinion, would it better to move this process to next summer so my MCAT is considered "recent"?

Sorry for the extremely late reply.. But anytime within a 1-2 year range is considered recent.

Med schools are looking for applicants to prove that they have the ability to make it through a rigorous medical training. Being a teacher doesn't prove that, as wonderful of a position as it is. I would recommend hitting up a graduate program and seeing if you can even get your way into a med school class of some variety. MCAT definitely needs to improve. Best of luck!