Ee gad, what's the cheapest way to get to Yale.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyrois

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interview on the 7th, need to book a ticket like... now:p Do I go to LGA, JFK, Bradley, New Haven?

LGA/JFK = $380 round trip

Bradley = $440

HVN = $600

What are the extra costs associated with each place, and how long does it take to get to and from?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...I live in CT so I may be able to help you out.

If you come from LGA/JFK, you'll probably need some way to get to CT. I suggest a shuttle van. Tell them beforehand though because a lot of the time there is no vacancy. This will of course cost you extra.

I suggest the same for Bradley, a shuttle van. There wont be the hassle of a rental car or anything. A shuttle van from bradley is probably cheaper than going to HVN and then getting a ride to Yale.

I guess it's down to either LGA/JFK or Bradley Intl.

Supposedly there's a bus that travels from Bradley Intl and LGA/JFK to Yale, but I dont' know what the time difference is. I'm going to try looking it up on ctlimo.com right now, but due to time restraints (I'm in between classes right now) if somebody knows the answer off the top of their heads I would be very grateful.

Members don't see this ad :)
LGA/JFK will probably be cheapest when all is said and done (considering the cost of flights), and definitely offers the most options. Bradley however may be a bit faster to Yale as you won't have deal with the NYC traffic. The New Haven airport is still a few miles from the school so I imagine you'd have to get a cab, which would probably make it too expensive.

Hmm...I live in CT so I may be able to help you out.

If you come from LGA/JFK, you'll probably need some way to get to CT. I suggest a shuttle van. Tell them beforehand though because a lot of the time there is no vacancy. This will of course cost you extra.

I suggest the same for Bradley, a shuttle van. There wont be the hassle of a rental car or anything. A shuttle van from bradley is probably cheaper than going to HVN and then getting a ride to Yale.

OH GOD NO! Not a shuttle van - that's RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Take the metro north from Grand Central Station. Takes about 1 hr 40 mins to get you to Yale, costs a grand total of $12.00 each way.

Google "metro north" and it'll come up.

Ha! I'm in Bradley airport (Hartford) right now getting ready to go home. Connecticut limo has a shuttle leaving every hour that will drop you off 20ft in front of the medical school if you ask specifically to do so, if you don't then the only option online is Yale Alumni which is further away, it is on York Street, you want Cedar Street, check out Google Maps. It was $76 round trip for me from Bradley. Awesome service, took about 1hr20mins, made reservation the same day and was the only person in the shuttle on the way out and had 50% full on the way back. Good luck!

ct limo was 25 bucks each way for me, i guess that is "ridiculously expensive" :rolleyes:

just tell them you are a yale student; they won't check. :D

i thought it would be best to go this route, because there is less hassle than with traveling all the way down from NYC.

ct limo was 25 bucks each way for me, i guess that is "ridiculously expensive" :rolleyes:

i thought it would be best to go this route, because there is less hassle than with traveling all the way down from NYC.

that's what the driver told me too

Like this: laguardia, to the shuttle bus going to grand central, buy return ticket, pick up bus schedule for when leaves from grand central to return. get off bus at grand central, go inside, buy ticket at the ticket booths. pick up schedule again. that easy! no muss! no fuss!

I second the metro north rail.
The airport shuttle goes right to grand central. NYC, baybee!
Then the train leaves from grand central and arrives two hours later in new haven.
seeing the buildings of new york, livin' it for five minutes is a lot of fun.
on the way back, i stayed at the vanderbilt y, very close to grand central, more cramped than the uptown y, but hey.
waking up in new york city, then flying home to work is pretty cool.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think time restraints have made my decision for me. Looks like I'll be going to Yale via Hartford (Bradley Intl).

Maybe I can trick them into thinking I go to Yale too:p

$50 is expensive when you add up all the costs of flying and interviewing. I'd happily take the MetroNorth rather than the shuttle - especially given the inevitability that is traffic from NY to CT.

I live on a student budget in an expensive city and any time I can save $12 without sacrificing too much time I definitely do so. Some of my classmates definitely learned the hard way how important budgeting was in medical school. It sucks to be in the middle of finals and eating ramen.