Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get what you're saying, but that's not really the case. The patient doesn't need a central line and there are no expectations the patient needs IV access overnight until the PICC/midline team comes in the AM with little chance of decompensation in the meantime. It also isn't needed in the ED.
Ok, so where's the breakdown in communication? If someone upstairs is pushing back and upset about this situation, maybe the report given to the admitting service is inadequate?
As an anesthesiologist, do you expect the ED to place any central or arterial lines you'd like in the OR before they come to you?
Lets be clear. In my experience that never happens. Even in patients that I feel need it. The typical ED patient has a 20 g in the AC. In trauma bleeding patients I'm happy if they send to us pt with a single 18 g and a sprinkle of 20 g. High acuity patients either go to the ICU first where the surgical ICU resident / fellow lines them up, or we line them up in the OR.