Effect of leaving chairman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stare Decisis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While it is not exactly a secret that Andy Lee is leaving UPitt. and going to Hopkins, I was wondering if this would have a dramatic influence on the stability of program. Should this be of concern to students interested in UPitt or will it have very little impact on a powerhouse program such as Pitt?

While in medical school a very prominent chair left an otherwise strong surgical program and it fractured the department. Between the people who followed the chairman to his new institution and the ruffled feathers over those not being chosen for the new position the program suffered drastically. Is it likely that something like this could happen at UPitt?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While it is not exactly a secret that Andy Lee is leaving UPitt. and going to Hopkins, I was wondering if this would have a dramatic influence on the stability of program. Should this be of concern to students interested in UPitt or will it have very little impact on a powerhouse program such as Pitt?

I was a medical student at Pitt when Bill Futrell was fired by Tim Biliar, the new surgery chief. Bill had been there for years and it was the same scenario....Who's going to leave, what will happen to the training program, etc. As much as I really like Bill, the change in management, in my opinion, made Pitt even stronger than it was 10 years ago (even considering the interim year with Shestak as chair). A few faculty did leave (Ake Nystrom went to Nebraska and Mike Bentz went to Madison), but the program itself grew and new faculty came on. The short answer is I wouldn't worry about it.

--M