Efficiency question for dermpaths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brock Lee

Reaction score
I have a question for the dermatopathologists here: do you have any pointers on how to improve efficiency?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for the dermatopathologists here: do you have any pointers on how to improve efficiency?
Make a quarter million diagnoses and you'll get more efficient.

Seriously though, there are no shortcuts and no substitutions for seeing a lot of diverse cases. Also I would discourage to practice dermpath solo for the first few years after fellowship. You need a good mentor for at least 1-2 years to reach your potential and become truly competent and efficient.

Other tricks which helped me: If you stare at a slide for more than 30 seconds, get stains, recuts, or a second opinion. Keep a textbook by your scope. Make a use of the phone to get more clinical info. Always match the slide with the paperwork. Always look for melanoma, even if the paperwork says scabies. And always look for scabies, syphilis, leprosy, and Leischmaniasis.

Reactions: 2 users
Use some type of aid to help with sign out if you don't already.

Either some type of shortcut phrase, word express, dragon dictation, or something like that.

Typing out Nodular basal cell carcinoma vs .bcc <enter> makes a difference over time.

Make your basic phrases and alter them as needed. For example, I have a whole paragraph that spits out when I type in .sponge. It talks about eczematous vs med reactions and so forth. I just alter what I need to tailor it to the specific case.

Plus, that helps with keeping your sign outs consistent.

Reactions: 1 user