Egyptian Med school grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Salam EveryOne!
I just graduated from Ain shams last summer and i'm preparing for Usmle Step1 right now.. I'm currently in florida... its great to find this forum since i miss masr alot.. So if anyone is preparing for ThE step i'm here!
salamz :)

Members don't see this ad.

Noosh said:
Hey Salam EveryOne!
I just graduated from Ain shams last summer and i'm preparing for Usmle Step1 right now.. I'm currently in florida... its great to find this forum since i miss masr alot.. So if anyone is preparing for ThE step i'm here!

Salam, I might sound repetitve cause I like to ask everybody this question...but after you take all 3 steps of the USMLE inshAllah...do you have to take any extra classes or nething? Or can you just apply for a residency right after?

~Rana said:
Salam, I might sound repetitve cause I like to ask everybody this question...but after you take all 3 steps of the USMLE inshAllah...do you have to take any extra classes or nething? Or can you just apply for a residency right after?
nop Rana you don't have to take any more classes.. passing these exams with a good score is a challenge though.. esp. being educated in egypt.. you know what its like!

Members don't see this ad :)
Noosh said:
Hey Salam EveryOne!

Salams Noosh! Welcome to the forum! If there's anything we can do- let us know!

As for me, i'm having some time off here in Egypt before i go back to the US in a couple of weeks!

Well thnx alot Hzma,
Well I do have one biig question... i still didn't get the final diploma (carton) from my school, Ain Shams.. and even the shahada mo2akata is not out yet... so how do I register for the exam.. and if the shahada mo2akata is out.. can I use it instead of the final carton deploma?
and salimili 3ala masr :)
Nari

Noosh said:
Well thnx alot Hzma,
Well I do have one biig question... i still didn't get the final diploma (carton) from my school, Ain Shams.. and even the shahada mo2akata is not out yet... so how do I register for the exam.. and if the shahada mo2akata is out.. can I use it instead of the final carton deploma?
and salimili 3ala masr :)
Nari

Of course, you can use the shahada mo2akata until the diploma comes out. Until then, what i did was write up on the computer: Hoda etc is a graduate of Kasr el aini etc with the degree kaza and her diploma will be released on date kaza. Signed by so and so vice dean of alumni affairs and i had it printed out on the letterhead, and then had it signed, then stamped. Yaani write up ur own "shahada mo2aqata" with the Ain Shams stamp on it.
Not hard in sha allah. :luck:

hzma said:
Of course, you can use the shahada mo2akata until the diploma comes out. Until then, what i did was write up on the computer: Hoda etc is a graduate of Kasr el aini etc with the degree kaza and her diploma will be released on date kaza. Signed by so and so vice dean of alumni affairs and i had it printed out on the letterhead, and then had it signed, then stamped. Yaani write up ur own "shahada mo2aqata" with the Ain Shams stamp on it.
Not hard in sha allah. :luck:

I am in my 4th month of Imtiyaz now. I went to sho2oon el khareegeen to get a shahada mo2aqata but they refused to give me one. Instead they gave me an "e3temad" which states that I have sucessfully passed the MBBCh exams and the results have been confirmed by the Faculty Council but YET TO BE CONFIRMED by the University Council !!! How stupid!!

This means I can't even notarize or stamp this useless shahada from the university and therefore won't be able to notarize it from the ministry of foreign affairs, as it is only stamped by the College Not by the university.

Does the ECFMG require such notarizations? And what do they mean by the "final diploma".. is it the cartoon one?

Another question I have is about the freaken letter they require to process the exchange visitor visa, which has to state that ur home country is in need for physicians trained in a particular specialty. Where and how do we get such a letter? Does it have to state a specific specialty? what if u changed ur mind or if u want to apply to a backup specialty??

Thanks,

Mohamed

Fascia Lata said:
I am in my 4th month of Imtiyaz now. I went to sho2oon el khareegeen to get a shahada mo2aqata but they refused to give me one. Instead they gave me an "e3temad" which states that I have sucessfully passed the MBBCh exams and the results have been confirmed by the Faculty Council but YET TO BE CONFIRMED by the University Council !!! How stupid!!

This means I can't even notarize or stamp this useless shahada from the university and therefore won't be able to notarize it from the ministry of foreign affairs, as it is only stamped by the College Not by the university.

Does the ECFMG require such notarizations? And what do they mean by the "final diploma".. is it the cartoon one?

Another question I have is about the freaken letter they require to process the exchange visitor visa, which has to state that ur home country is in need for physicians trained in a particular specialty. Where and how do we get such a letter? Does it have to state a specific specialty? what if u changed ur mind or if u want to apply to a backup specialty??

Thanks,

Mohamed

I think i used a document like that for my exams- mymy shihada moa'qata also took a while to come out. The final diploma took 2yrs. :) the final diploma is the carton one, and i got a translation from the gama3 itself. I don't remember notarizing anything though.
I'm sorry i dont' know much about the visa, but i recommend going to one of the Kaplan centers and talking with the students there, someone will help u akeed. Good luck!

Mafeesh ibn aww bint 7alaal ye3rafo Egyptian residents that matched in surgical subspecialities (urology, ophth, ortho... etc)?

They're getting v.competitive I hear...

Thanks,

Mohamed

This letter is from Ministry of Health (Training section), they have specific form and issue it to you in the same day. The problems are, you have to have work permission from your work or to be a free doctor without governmental job with a certificate from El-Nekaba indicating that. Since you are still in 4 th month emteaze you can't do that, you should be a member in elNekaba so they can issue you the certificate, directed to ministry of health. This letter should include one speciality only and you should get it if you matched in US program first and at that time you know what speciality you are going. The ECFMG needs your US residency contract along with this letter, fees and other few things to issue you the visa.
The final diploma (cartoon one) is very important piece of document by which your ECFMG certificate could be certified and should be mailed directly to the ECFMG. The latter will write to the university and medical school directly to have transcript and diploma mailed directly to ECFMG, you don't have role in that at all. If already the diploma and trascript issued, which is not yet your case, it takes from 2 to 6 months to be mailed to the ECFMG who confirm it in anoter weeks or so.
I think you have to take the USMLE exams first, this does not need any thing except to fill out the forms, pay the fees and sit for the exam in Cairo or any where (step1 and 2 CK) and step 2 CS only in US by any order you want and leave the certificates and all these issues for the time being.

This letter is from Ministry of Health (Training section), they have specific form and issue it to you in the same day. The problems are, you have to have work permission from your work or to be a free doctor without governmental job with a certificate from El-Nekaba indicating that. Since you are still in 4 th month emteaze you can't do that, you should be a member in elNekaba so they can issue you the certificate, directed to ministry of health. This letter should include one speciality only and you should get it if you matched in US program first and at that time you know what speciality you are going. The ECFMG needs your US residency contract along with this letter, fees and other few things to issue you the visa.
The final diploma (cartoon one) is very important piece of document by which your ECFMG certificate could be certified and should be mailed directly to the ECFMG. The latter will write to the university and medical school directly to have transcript and diploma mailed directly to ECFMG, you don't have role in that at all. If already the diploma and trascript issued, which is not yet your case, it takes from 2 to 6 months to be mailed to the ECFMG who confirm it in anoter weeks or so.
I think you have to take the USMLE exams first, this does not need any thing except to fill out the forms, pay the fees and sit for the exam in Cairo or any where (step1 and 2 CK) and step 2 CS only in US by any order you want and leave the certificates and all these issues for the time being.
Thanks for the prompt response.
By the way, I already obtained the carton certificate.
What happened is that I applied online for the Step II CK exam. and in order to process the application the ECFMG needs you to send the the certification of identification form (form 186) together with a couple more forms and 2 copies of the translated FINAL medical diploma, i.e. the carton certificate. SO, you do need to have the carton certificate in order to apply to ECFMG to take an exam AS A GRADUATE, not a student. Another option is that to provide them with a certificate form your med school attesting you have already obtained the degree but the final diploma would only be released on a specific date that has to be clear on that peice of paper. So what I did was that I applied online and paid the fee with the cc then printed out the certification of identification form (form 186) and went to Sho2oon el Khareegeen and the stamped the 186 form and they advised me to go to the University Adminstration and submit a TALAB ISTE3GAL for the carton certificate. They need an evidence that u need the carton certificate early for the TALAB ISTE3GAL to be accepted. So I photocopied the 186 form and submiited it with a talab iste3gal to the university of Alexandria adminstration. A couple of weeks later I got the carton certificate. I then photocopied it and submitted the photocopies to sho2oon el khareegeen for translation. I then attested every thing at the ministry of foreign affairs and sent all the stuff to ECFMG by FEDEX. They just notiefied me they received my documents and that they were in order.

Hope that helps anyone engaged in the same process.

Thanks for clarifying the Neqba paper thing.

Mohamed