Ehr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlofmushypeas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I come from a med school that has been using EHR since I started, but am wondering how many residency sites are still using paper? Also, we use EPIC for the most part in my area and med students can get paid to consult. I was curious how common EPIC is at other med schools, and if consulting positions for students was available at your schools also.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my med school, one hospital used EPIC and the other two used their own EMRs.

My residency program has it's own EMR that the university created.

What exactly do you mean by "consulting?" What did you get paid to do as a medical student?

The vast majority of places have EMR. Maryland comes to mind as a place that doesn't have complete EMR.

EPIC is the most common. Cerner and meditech are also relatively common.

I come from a med school that has been using EHR since I started, but am wondering how many residency sites are still using paper?

I'd venture not many given the government requirement for practice environments to have EHRs by 2015.

Also, we use EPIC for the most part in my area and med students can get paid to consult. I was curious how common EPIC is at other med schools, and if consulting positions for students was available at your schools also.

eClinicalWorks is the most commonly used EHR in the US; EPIC, Cerner, McKesson, NextGen, AllScripts, etc. are also found frequently. I have privileges at several hospitals and they all use a different software. :rolleyes:

Don't forget CPRS at the VA hospitals - despite its simplistic look I love it.

I wish more hospitals would just implement it (if it got a bit of a facelift). It's 5 bucks to buy and pretty simple/intuitive to use.

I would also like to know the answer to this.

The gigs vary in lengths (days to weeks) where a firm sends med students at our school to different hospitals launching Epic Go-Lives. The "consultant" role we have is to assist in training hospital staff and be around to answer questions for the first month or so when they're making the transition. I've only heard it being offered to my school so far and just assumed that was because we use Epic on rotations. I posted because I was wanting to know if other med schools who used Epic had a similar set up since it's great pay with great flexibility for med students.

We have Cerner and it is the crappiest program I have ever seen. It takes ~2-4 minutes from sitting down at the computer to be able pull up a pt's chart. Even then everything is terribly organized.

I honestly I am clueless why the government doesn't create an infrastructure between EMRs and hospitals. I realize the private sector will never go for a single national EMR but you should be able to pull up any chart nationwide through whatever EMR the hospital has purchased. It would pay for itself a million times over in the reduction of repeated tests.

The gigs vary in lengths (days to weeks) where a firm sends med students at our school to different hospitals launching Epic Go-Lives. The "consultant" role we have is to assist in training hospital staff and be around to answer questions for the first month or so when they're making the transition. I've only heard it being offered to my school so far and just assumed that was because we use Epic on rotations. I posted because I was wanting to know if other med schools who used Epic had a similar set up since it's great pay with great flexibility for med students.

That's awesome!

We have Cerner and it is the crappiest program I have ever seen. It takes ~2-4 minutes from sitting down at the computer to be able pull up a pt's chart. Even then everything is terribly organized.

I honestly I am clueless why the government doesn't create an infrastructure between EMRs and hospitals. I realize the private sector will never go for a single national EMR but you should be able to pull up any chart nationwide through whatever EMR the hospital has purchased. It would pay for itself a million times over in the reduction of repeated tests.
I'm pro-government. But, just because this is how they sold it to the masses (get your chart ANYWHERE!) doesn't mean it will ever be true. I don't think this will ever happen. Maybe a central database with plain-text files would be possible but integration amongst all EMRs? Eh, I think we have a better chance of... anything.

I'm pro-government. But, just because this is how they sold it to the masses (get your chart ANYWHERE!) doesn't mean it will ever be true. I don't think this will ever happen. Maybe a central database with plain-text files would be possible but integration amongst all EMRs? Eh, I think we have a better chance of... anything.

Ehh...it's not that difficult.....financial information flows freely between companies. Things like your credit score is aggregated between 1,000s of financial institutions.

It doesn't even have to be a central database per se. You just need a government system that lets you know where a pt has a medical records. Then when you look for SSN 123-456-7890 it should be able to query any hospital's EMR nationwide where a record with that SSN exists and retrive the chart.

The problem is there is no incentive for anyone. It's more work for the EMR companies. Hospitals lose out on more income through repeat labs and imaging. The pt and our national debt is really the only two groups who benefit.

eclinicalworks is the most commonly used ehr in the us; epic, cerner, mckesson, nextgen, allscripts, etc. Are also found frequently. I have privileges at several hospitals and they all use a different software. :rolleyes:

the horror