einstein in Philly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masreya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philly??? I am torn between that and Umass. Any one interview there or thinking of ranking it????

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Masreya said:
What do you guys think of Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philly??? I am torn between that and Umass. Any one interview there or thinking of ranking it????

thanks

I've rotated at Einstein in Philadelphia. It's a community hospital with a lot of IMGs (I don't know if you are one or not). It's not all that amazing in my view. As a general rule, if you're looking for a fellowship I think you'd be much better off at a very solid university based program like UMass. Even if you don't want to do a fellowhip, I think the training's better at University based hospitals...maybe I'm just biased, but that's my take on it.

washedupceleb said:
I've rotated at Einstein in Philadelphia. It's a community hospital with a lot of IMGs (I don't know if you are one or not). It's not all that amazing in my view. As a general rule, if you're looking for a fellowship I think you'd be much better off at a very solid university based program like UMass. Even if you don't want to do a fellowhip, I think the training's better at University based hospitals...maybe I'm just biased, but that's my take on it.

Thanks for your reply. I am a US grad, can you tell me a little more about your experience there on your rotation. The program sounded really good on paper with good fellowship placement and board pass rates but I am not sure how happy the residents are there. thanks
Masreya

Members don't see this ad :)
washedupceleb said:

Dear Dr,

I would like to know why you think this plac is not great. Is it because you think that there are many IMG's and that makes the program inferior, or because it is a community program adn hence the education is less than UMASS program which is supposed to be more academic. Or is it because of both you think it is not good training.

Thanks alot.
Valentino

dennis said:
Dear Dr,

I would like to know why you think this plac is not great. Is it because you think that there are many IMG's and that makes the program inferior, or because it is a community program adn hence the education is less than UMASS program which is supposed to be more academic. Or is it because of both you think it is not good training.

Thanks alot.
Valentino

I never said it wasn't great. IMGs are usually more knowledgeable than US grads, because they've trained longer, and the education they give is excellent. I'm not sure how it compares to UMass...I have no direct experience with Umass. I was simply speaking from a practical standpoint...when applying for fellowships (especially competitive ones like cards and GI) solid uni programs are usually better than community..that's all.

don't know much about Einstein in Philly, but as I've posted on here before, UMass is probably the most underrated program out there.. There are a lot of IMG's there too, but UMass does not take the selection of the IMG's lightly at all. Happy residents, great retention rate of students from UMass Med, solid 3-hospital program, and as the only IM residency in Central Mass (close to a 45 mile radius), I think you'd get a broad clinical exposure. I am not from UMass, but (to my surprise) will be ranking this program in my top 3-4.

I interviewed at Einstein. I thought the program was pretty good. The patient throughput makes it such that you don't have to mess around with a bunch of meaningless wrongful admissions. The teaching seemed to be pretty good, and the residents seemed to be happy. I liked the place. It's not a university program, but they do an excellent job of getting fellowships for those that want them.