Einstein vs Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang289

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between the two and would appreciate any insights and comments. They are the same academically, so I'm looking at the other characteristics.

Rochester - great facilities, friendly students, excellent curriculum. bad weather and location. Do the students bond together because of the isolated location?

Einstein - better location (still outside NYC) but worse facilities and didn't get a great vibe from the students I met (albeit only a few of them). Do einstein students go into the city that often? Are they happy?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with Rochester. The only possible advantage to Einstein that I see is the location. The Rochester curriculum is incredible and I've never met happier students. Of the two people that I know personally that go to Einstein, one is somewhat happy and the other is completely miserable and probably isn't going to make it. Granted, he probably doesn't belong in medical school anyway, but that's another story.

From what I've seen on interviews, a school's curriculum is one of the main things that determines how happy students are. If you want to sit in lecture all day, go to Einstein. If you want to limit your science lectures to a couple of hours a day, do a little problem-based stuff, learn about psychosocial factors in medicine, and begin your clerkships in your first year, go to Rochester.

U.S. News and World Distort (as the president of my college likes to call them) may rank these schools the same, but that doesn't mean a thing. They are very different schools with very different programs.

On a side note, isn't Einstein in the Bronx? That would mean that it's in NYC, not near it. The people I know who go there head to Manhattan every now and then, it takes about 45-60 min. by bus.

Hope that was helpful.

I would also agree with Greg Focker. Rochester is getting a ton of money and they're adding new research facilities like crazy. Granted, it will take a few years for that to bear "fruit" but at least you know the school is heading in the right direction. The Double Helix curriculum is great and in terms of immediate location, Rochester is much better than the Bronx. Sure, you'll have time to enjoy the City at Einstein, but if you really missed NYC, you can fly round trip from Rochester to JFK for like less than $100 on Bluejet.