EIS 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epi500

Reaction score
Is anyone else applying for EIS? I was happy they created the informational webinars this year, they have been very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am applying again. The informational webinar I went to was extremely helpful and gave me insight into where I went wrong with my original app.

That’s great! With such a long application period/waiting time it must be sort of stressful to apply again...I hope it works out for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for starting this year's thread! I definitely thought the webinars were informative and a nice touch. Good luck as we go through this process!

I wonder how the pandemic has changed/will change the program, as well as applicant numbers! It seemed like there were a lot of people on the informational webinar I was on, but I don’t have a sense of how many applicants there usually are

I wonder how the pandemic has changed/will change the program, as well as applicant numbers! It seemed like there were a lot of people on the informational webinar I was on, but I don’t have a sense of how many applicants there usually are
There's some info on the website about applicant numbers, but I don't think the pandemic will affect this cohort too much. We wouldn't matriculate until July 2022, and, hopefully, COVID emergency ops will be done by then!

How are everyone's applications coming along? I'm surprised there aren't more folks on here! It's hard (for me at least!) to work on this without knowing anyone else applying!

How are everyone's applications coming along? I'm surprised there aren't more folks on here! It's hard (for me at least!) to work on this without knowing anyone else applying!
I just need to finish crafting the personal statement bits. I wish I knew the right things to say.

I feel that! I just want to press send and get it over with haha.
The word count is also very challenging to stick to!

I feel that! I just want to press send and get it over with haha.
The word count is also very challenging to stick to!
Opposite for me - I never reach the word count and then feel like I've never written enough.

Hello again, everyone! I hope that your applications are going well. Can anyone share with me what you will see when a recommendation goes in? Will there be something that says "received" or something? Do I have to have submitted my application to see that sort of information? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello again, everyone! I hope that your applications are going well. Can anyone share with me what you will see when a recommendation goes in? Will there be something that says "received" or something? Do I have to have submitted my application to see that sort of information? Thank you!
Yes- it turns green and says “completed” with the date and time it was submitted!

I can't find this in the materials. Do LORs have to be in by Friday as well? Related: how many times can i bother my last LOR writer in four days...

I can't find this in the materials. Do LORs have to be in by Friday as well? Related: how many times can i bother my last LOR writer in four days...
Okay, I'll answer my own post. I just submitted, and in the email confirmation, it says: "Please note, all recommendations must be received by June 11, 2021, 11:59 p.m. (ET) or your application may not be considered."

Okay, I'll answer my own post. I just submitted, and in the email confirmation, it says: "Please note, all recommendations must be received by June 11, 2021, 11:59 p.m. (ET) or your application may not be considered."
Congrats on submitting! Now I guess we get to obsessively check the portal every day.

On a positive note, during Friday’s conference they did announce that due to pandemic $ they are “expanding the program” so hopefully that means more spots!

Congrats on submitting! Now I guess we get to obsessively check the portal every day.

On a positive note, during Friday’s conference they did announce that due to pandemic $ they are “expanding the program” so hopefully that means more spots!
Yes, I was intrigued by that, but they didn't say anything else!

Reactions: 2 users
And they've announced interviews on August 15 the last few years, so I'm going to try not to obsessively check the portal until around then... try being the operative word.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! Only a few days in and the wait is already killing me! It's going to be a long summer.

Application says “under review” now- I’m sure it doesn’t actually mean anything but it’s nice to see the process moving along!

Hm not sure- but I did open an application last year and ultimately decided to wait until this year to apply, and I think I got an email after it was due as well saying we had one more week to turn it in. I turned mine in before the application date this year so I didn't see it this year

Hi everyone! I applied too. Also obsessively checking. I didn't know about them increasing funding this year so I am hopeful about that! What conference did they announce that in? The class size has slowly gotten smaller over time so it's nice to see them finally going in the other direction (I hope). I also didn't know about the August 15 date for announcing interviews in the past so at least that gives us a specific date to look forward to. What is everyone's background? I am a veterinarian with an MPH, graduated from Tufts for both in 2019.

Hello all! I am also a first time applicant. I am an MD, complete residency, currently doing MPH to be completed May 2022. Website says strongly encouraged to have MPH at the time of application. Not sure how strict this is. Anyone in the same situation?

Hello all! I am also a first time applicant. I am an MD, complete residency, currently doing MPH to be completed May 2022. Website says strongly encouraged to have MPH at the time of application. Not sure how strict this is. Anyone in the same situation?
I'm in a similar situation (but RN not MD)- I am hoping my public health background helps, but hard to say!

Hi everyone! I applied too. Also obsessively checking. I didn't know about them increasing funding this year so I am hopeful about that! What conference did they announce that in? The class size has slowly gotten smaller over time so it's nice to see them finally going in the other direction (I hope). I also didn't know about the August 15 date for announcing interviews in the past so at least that gives us a specific date to look forward to. What is everyone's background? I am a veterinarian with an MPH, graduated from Tufts for both in 2019.
It was mentioned in the EIS conference

Have any other applicants received an email asking to participate in a qualitative interview to provide feedback about the application process for EIS 2022? I saw something with "EIS" pop up in my inbox and my heart stopped for a second! I imagine others had this moment as well and just wanted to validate this nerve-racking waiting process.

The only other helpful bit from that email is that it mentions that invitations for selection interviews are to be sent mid-August (which we all already anticipated from previous years! but still-- confirmation!). Given the on/around August 15th date applicants in the previous years heard back about interviews.. I guess the Friday before the 15th (August 13) for this year! Good luck everyone!!

Have any other applicants received an email asking to participate in a qualitative interview to provide feedback about the application process for EIS 2022? I saw something with "EIS" pop up in my inbox and my heart stopped for a second! I imagine others had this moment as well and just wanted to validate this nerve-racking waiting process.

The only other helpful bit from that email is that it mentions that invitations for selection interviews are to be sent mid-August (which we all already anticipated from previous years! but still-- confirmation!). Given the on/around August 15th date applicants in the previous years heard back about interviews.. I guess the Friday before the 15th (August 13) for this year! Good luck everyone!!
I had the same reaction!

How's everyone feeling? Any day now....

How's everyone feeling? Any day now....
Oh, man, I checked the app site yesterday, and it was down for maintenance. I thought maybe today would be the day, but alas...

Thursday already- this week has flown by for me. I wonder if we will find out tomorrow!? :cool:

Still under review- at 1am Eastern when the CDC isn’t even open lol

Ah! It's happening!

Just after 5pm EST I got a "not invited to interview" email and online application portal was also updated. All the best to those who are moving on to interviews and also to those who submitted applications regardless of the outcome! Be safe and well everyone!

Just got the email: not selected for an interview again. I suppose this is it for me!

So sorry to those who aren’t interviewing- hope there are other great things in your futures!
Anyone else hear back?

For those that did get interviews, what sort of public health background do you have?

Hi all! I got an email on Friday with an invitation to interview in September, so excited! I'm a veterinarian with some clinical experience and some public health experience. Currently completing my MPH. I was wondering if anyone here interviewed virtually last year and has any tips or would be willing to share about their experience?

Hi all! I got an email on Friday with an invitation to interview in September, so excited! I'm a veterinarian with some clinical experience and some public health experience. Currently completing my MPH. I was wondering if anyone here interviewed virtually last year and has any tips or would be willing to share about their experience?
Similar background but I'm an RN. I wish I had any tips about interviewing... would love to hear some!

I was invited to interview! For those who are curious, I am a veterinarian with an MPH, and I completed them together as a dual degree program. I graduated in 2019 and have 2 years clinical experience but have not yet really worked in the public health field. While doing my MPH I did a 2-month externship at CDC and did several shorter public health focused externships with USDA, NIH, and the National Park Service. I also did public health focused research with my university while in veterinary school. It helped to have people to source from those areas for reference letters. One of my references was an EIS officer previously.

Crossing my fingers and best of luck to everyone! For those who didn't get to interview, don't give up! If you are passionate about this field, it needs you!

Last edited:
I was invited to interview! For those who are curious, I am a veterinarian with an MPH, and I completed them together as a dual degree program. I graduated in 2019 and have 2 years clinical experience but have not yet really worked in the public health field. While doing my MPH I did a 2-month externship at CDC and did several shorter public health focused externships with USDA, NIH, and the National Park Service.

I am somewhat nervous, however. My email said we had until 11:59 PM ET on August 18 (which would be tonight). I had emailed them when we got the invite because I am only really available for 3 days and not 5 like they asked. I was waiting to hear back but decided to submit the form anyway because the deadline was coming up, and the portal said the deadline passed 2 hours ago! Before it "passed" I had checked off the dates I could do and indicated I would be participating in the interview process, but had not yet clicked submit. I emailed them the list of dates I have available on top of it. Has anyone else had this issue? Obviously I am horrified but hoping that since it's technically in the time they allotted it will be okay.

Crossing my fingers!
That sounds stressful! Hopefully like you said since the email said tonight, all will be fine.

That sounds stressful! Hopefully like you said since the email said tonight, all will be fine.

Yes - already they responded and let me know all was well! Don't worry if you get the same error message. They also said it was okay to only list 3 dates and they would make it work, but they want you to explain your circumstances if this is necessary.

Yes - already they responded and let me know all was well! Don't worry if you get the same error message. They also said it was okay to only list 3 dates and they would make it work, but they want you to explain your circumstances if this is necessary.
Same thing happened to me. All worked out though. They were surprisingly friendly in their response when I told them I wasn't able to choose five times/days.
I too would love some interview tips. It's been at least 100 years since I had an interview.

Same thing happened to me. All worked out though. They were surprisingly friendly in their response when I told them I wasn't able to choose five times/days.
I too would love some interview tips. It's been at least 100 years since I had an interview.
I'm hoping the zoom calls they sent out will be helpful! It's definitely nerve-wracking.