EIS... Anyone interested in doing it?

Started by flaahless
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flaahless

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Epidemic Intelligence Service at the CDC. It's always been my dream but I hear that requirements are growing more and more lofty. Daah well, hopefully I can make it.
 
Epidemic Intelligence Service at the CDC. It's always been my dream but I hear that requirements are growing more and more lofty. Daah well, hopefully I can make it.
It looked interesting back in the day. But now that I'm staring down big financial aid to have to pay back and am married, the idea of two more years of making peanuts and watching interest grow on my loans is sort of reducing the appeal.
 
It looked interesting back in the day. But now that I'm staring down big financial aid to have to pay back and am married, the idea of two more years of making peanuts and watching interest grow on my loans is sort of reducing the appeal.
Yeah I definitely feel you on that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looked interesting back in the day. But now that I'm staring down big financial aid to have to pay back and am married, the idea of two more years of making peanuts and watching interest grow on my loans is sort of reducing the appeal.
Is there no salary with that program?
 
i would imagine that as a government position it probably doesn't pay much.
If I remember correctly, the salary was about $60K/year for the two years. Not chickenfeed, but I figured it would put me a few more years from retirement. Again, great program though...
 
I think the salary ranges from 50-90K. That price isn't too bad for essentially the equivalent of a fellowship.
 
I think the salary ranges from 50-90K. That price isn't too bad for essentially the equivalent of a fellowship.
Yeah, the stress is on "essentially". I'd take a big pay hit for a fellowship only if it empowered me with a qualification that allowed me to do work I couldn't otherwise.

If I did a residency in Internal Med, I'd do a two year fellowship in ID, because it allows me to be an ID specialist. A two year fellowship with EIS would be great experience, but wouldn't qualify me to do anything new.

Again, it's a great program, but I'd look at it as a service opportunity that gave you some fun experiences and some great job experience.
 
Yeah, the stress is on "essentially". I'd take a big pay hit for a fellowship only if it empowered me with a qualification that allowed me to do work I couldn't otherwise.

If I did a residency in Internal Med, I'd do a two year fellowship in ID, because it allows me to be an ID specialist. A two year fellowship with EIS would be great experience, but wouldn't qualify me to do anything new.

Again, it's a great program, but I'd look at it as a service opportunity that gave you some fun experiences and some great job experience.
Yeah, that's the same thing I'm grappling with. We'll see what happens in 7 years or so.