EK 101 or TPR Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dartmouth2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some more practice on Verbal. I am taking the Sept. 11th MCAT.

I am all over the place ranging from 15 on some exams to 11 on others. Anyways, I was wondering which of these two books would you guys buy for extra practice. I have the AAMC exams, but I was planning on using them in August for FL practice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the TPR class, but I despise their verbal. Some of their passages, especially on their FLs, are complete mind ****s. Also, a lot of the time on TPR verbal you could very easily argue for more than one answer.

EK 101 is pretty consistent across all 101 passages so far (I've only done half the book so far). EK also has great, detailed explanations in the back for each question, and it just doesn't explain why the right answer is right, it also explains why each wrong one is wrong.

tl;dr: Get EK, TPR verbal is the devil.

I'm in the TPR class, but I despise their verbal. Some of their passages, especially on their FLs, are complete mind ****s. Also, a lot of the time on TPR verbal you could very easily argue for more than one answer.

EK 101 is pretty consistent across all 101 passages so far (I've only done half the book so far). EK also has great, detailed explanations in the back for each question, and it just doesn't explain why the right answer is right, it also explains why each wrong one is wrong.

tl;dr: Get EK, TPR verbal is the devil.

Thanks.

I think you should do both. That's what I'm doing now. From what i've gathered (and based off aamc i did) TPR verbal is pretty similar to MCAT. Haven't done EK yet though. Neither is GREAT, but they're just about the best out there as of right now. It seems a given that the only legit good verbal practice is the pratice AAMCs. But anways, the more practice the merrier.

-even if, as above poster said, some are mind ****, that's actually good because there seems to be a very high chance that will actually happen on the real deal. No reason to avoid them just because they suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are shyt.

You should use them to build endurance not to gauge where you stand for the real thang.

Both are worth picking up. Order EK Verbal 101 now since you can easily get it off of Amazon. Then try to hunt down TPRH Verbal Workbook. Though I'd space out your EK Verbal 101 as if you aren't buying the Verbal Workbook until you actually have it. Finding the Workbook is pretty tough.

Both are worth picking up. Order EK Verbal 101 now since you can easily get it off of Amazon. Then try to hunt down TPRH Verbal Workbook. Though I'd space out your EK Verbal 101 as if you aren't buying the Verbal Workbook until you actually have it. Finding the Workbook is pretty tough.

I found a copy of the workbook yesterday.

i have done both, I believe ek is closer to the aamc style. i would recommend ek over tpr.

Both are fine. I honestly think it's hard to tell any difference. You'll get solid practice using verbal workbooks from either. I would use EK first. The TPR verbal strategy is what people gripe about. Contrary to the guy above me, I personally see few differences between EK or PR question types on the exams. But, to each his own.

Both are fine. I honestly think it's hard to tell any difference. You'll get solid practice using verbal workbooks from either. I would use EK first. The TPR verbal strategy is what people gripe about. Contrary to the guy above me, I personally see few differences between EK or PR question types on the exams. But, to each his own.

the reason ek gets the majority vote is main due to their question style. tpr makes you work the passage while ek has more ambiguity in their questions, which are closer to aamc format.