EK pedigree question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muhali3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why my answer is wrong. They say that 7 is the maximum # of carriers in the pedigree, but it is possible that both parents in the P generation are carriers. Just because the F1 generation is unaffected doesn't make it impossible for both parents of the P generation to be carriers. The P generation could've been Aa x Aa and their children could've have also been both heterozygous. Isn't my rationale correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ekbogus.jpg
    ekbogus.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 100
I don't understand why my answer is wrong. They say that 7 is the maximum # of carriers in the pedigree, but it is possible that both parents in the P generation are carriers. Just because the F1 generation is unaffected doesn't make it impossible for both parents of the P generation to be carriers. The P generation could've been Aa x Aa and their children could've have also been both heterozygous. Isn't my rationale correct?

I agree with you, both parents could be carriers and the F1 could be all heterozygous. Your rationale seems sound, especially given that they asked for family members that MAY be unaffected carriers.

Side note: unless theres something im missing from the key they gave us to use, it's too pixelated for me to read