EK Verbal Question Stem Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swatch_VR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this technique very hard to grasp, especially when it doesn't work on many of the passages and the way you apply this technique seems to vary from passage to passsage.

Moreover, you risk making false extrapolations and logical jumps, thereby effectively using "outside knowledge", which is a taboo on the MCAT VR section. This seems counterproductive.

Is it just more of a prep company's marketing strategy?

How do you apply this techinque on question stems like the following??

"The central thesis of the passage is..."

"Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author's arguments?"

"According to the passage, which of the following is not supported by an example or reference to authority?"

Does anybody know of a thread somewhere that has some insightful advice on how to use the EK question stem technique?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on question stems. I think the main idea technique is much more important/valuable. I would use question stems if they had information, and if not I wouldn't sweat it. EK is just showing how some questions can be filled with info.

i thought that strategy was hard to grasp too. i took a practice verbal test before looking at this strategy suggestions and did okay. but then i looked at this strategy technique and did the 15 or so questions after it to test yourself and it just ended up confusing me.