EKG's

Started by BAM!
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BAM!

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So how exactly does the flow of ions within the heart create the p qrs t ? I'm talking in terms of electric fields, currents, etc. all of this in regards to lead 2 is fine w me. Any tips or pointers?

thanks
 
Guyton's Physiology textbook has a good section on membrane potentials, gap junctions, and etc. its hard to explain in a post but they did a good job if you want the technical details.
 
The question actually has 2 parts to consider.

One is the channels mentioned. These behave differently in the various parts of the conduction system. I would recommend the basic points in a Circulation article: http://circep.ahajournals.org/content/2/2/185.full

It has a nice figure showing the relative contributions during each electrical phase.

Two is the electrical conduction system. I agree with Guyton's physiology text for that purpose. It spends 3 chapters on the topic. However, for a clinically applicable model, I would recommend Hurst's Ventricular Electrocardiography. It's freely available online. Just look.