EKO stethescope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sapien3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y’all, is there anyone used EKO stethoscope? How good is the sound amplification feature and murmur detection?

Recovering for ear issue, have hard time with hearing on one side. So need sound amplification (have seen plenty of olde physicians use them) on stethescope. Had always wanted to upgrade my Littman master. Strongly considering EKO - 500 version perhaps. Any inputs appreciated. TIA

Specs of EKO core 500 below. Sounds awesome but $$$ and I am not good at charging stuff regularly lol

IMG_3048.png

Members don't see this ad.

I use an older model of the Eko stethoscope and it is great, but the added weight of the device caused me to switch back to using a traditional Littman stethoscope. Realistically, most cases you will have an echo that trumps any small murmur you hear on exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. I have been using it for the past few days. The heart sounds are better heard for sure. Gives EKG and HR which is not useful as I do EKG in the clinic anyways. Respiratory sounds are meh. It amplifies noise from fabric/skin friction as well which is annoying. Yet to hear a classic murmur.

I use one all the time. I am a pulmonologist.

I would have to say it does not make or break anything. The amplified lung sounds help a bit and helps me clearly distinguish fine velcro rales of IPF versus the wet rales of CHF. Recording it compare later on might be helpful (though I do lung U/S for B lines and a focused subcostal echo and IVC so that's better anyway)

But I like the recording of sounds and that little rhythm strip (as I do not do 12 leads routinely in the office unless I am concerned about PE, PH, monitoring QTc when placing someone on longer term macrolides for NTM or bronchietasis etc.. which is not a common outpatient presentation) . But it's nice to see a rhythm.

If I hear a whopping classic AS murmur and play around with hand grip and valsalva and whatever, then I know "this is not someone I am doing CPET on."

bottom line the patients like it in that I am using "the newest technology" and I let them see the tablet screen with the phonocardiogram and little EKG tracing

if you have the money to splurge go for it. the battery lasts quite a while per charge.

in the hospital you might be pick up someone with AFib on a non-telemetry floor i guess and change their room assignment or something

of note these recordings do not qualify for 93000 (as it is not 12 leads) and the old phonocardiogram CPT code was deleted in the 2000s.
but perhaps you can use it to justify billing one higher level of office visit if you document you spent itme reviewing these reports on the EKO portal later on

I wil also say this takes quite a bit of time to do
If you utlize the "full exam" feature in which you put the stethoscope in the four regions of the heart you auscultate and that is 30 seconds per recording, this is a two minute cardiac auscultation.

I'm certain this benefits an interested non-cardiologist more so than an experienced cardiologist who has a stethoscope for an ear and can hear all 1/6 murmurs and extra heart sounds and also has easy access to TTE.

as soon as you record the sounds/EKG rhythm strip, it goes to the online portal. i hae a staff member input name and demographics and save.

then you can review on your computer screen right away with patient (if the patient cares) and play the sounds (if the patient cares)

then after work (if you care and have the time), you can plaky these over and over again and pontificate (hmm now that the stethoscope amplifies the sound, is this a 2/6 or 3/6? i believe it is CD SEM best heard at the R2ICS with radiation to the carotids.
That extra heart sound occurred around the P wave so must be an S4 (i think). oh there's a PVC there. that's what that was. whew I thought I was in trouble for a moment with a new AFib diagnosis! and so on so forth

ultimtaely this seems more useful for a non-cardiologist. usually an interested internist. a cardiologist probably does not even need these things and would find these things to occupy time.

would be a great learning teaching tool for med students, residents, fellows though.
play a game of guess the cardiac diagnosis based on the cardiac auscultation the various valvulopathies / cardiomyopathies / congenital heart diseases etc... something a cardiologist would see all the time

1711822920620.png

Last edited: