Elderly dog adjustment and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just took in my wife’s grandmother’s 15 year old Australian Labradoodle. She’s wonderful and very sweet. The dog, not the grandmother who is grumpy and had a fall today. This poor dog also had half of its ear amputated earlier this week because of a hematoma that went gangrene.

Any ideas on how to help this dog feel at home and chill out? Our 18-month-old Australian Labradoodle is getting along very well with it.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
man form GIF

No advice, but it is nice that your 18 month old dog is getting along well. We have and 8 month-old Labradoodle who i'm pretty sure would drive the older one crazy- non-stop wanting to play and not understanding why any other dog (or human for that matter) would feel differently. As i type this she is staring at me with her stuffed moosed toy in her mouth, incredulous that I am not immediately grabbing it an throwing for her to fetch.

It's such a cliche for us professional types to own some sort of doodle dog! I'm somewhat justified in that I needed a hypoallergenic beast, but still- before you know it, I'll be buying a Prius to drive to the Whole Foods (or even better- local Co-Op market).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) dogs can take liquid Benadryl as a sedative. Usually there is a mg per kg rec on the kids bottle.

2) Herding dogs, like humans in a grocery store, prefer to go counterclockwise. Make a pathway to allow that, for comfort.

3) heating pad underneath a blanket.

4) treats,

5) canned pumpkin is a dog laxative.

Reactions: 1 user
1) dogs can take liquid Benadryl as a sedative. Usually there is a mg per kg rec on the kids bottle.

2) Herding dogs, like humans in a grocery store, prefer to go counterclockwise. Make a pathway to allow that, for comfort.

3) heating pad underneath a blanket.

4) treats,

5) canned pumpkin is a dog laxative.

Your friendly neighborhood pharmacist was also required to learn pet dosages in school. Don't be afraid to ask.

Reactions: 5 users
I have 2 geriatric pups and this phase of their life has honestly been my favorite - you do need to adjust your expectations though (if you've never had a geriatric dog). Play is gentler, walks and sniffs are longer, cuddles are better :)

I would consider implementing any habits or routines your wife's grandmother had with the pup -- favorite blanket, dog bed, crate, times of day they eat, # of walks, etc.

I used Benadryl once when my dog developed separation anxiety and he lost his mind (honestly thought he was developing doggie dementia). I bought these instead and have had success (though I don't use them daily and it does make them a little thirsty):

NATURVET Quiet Moments Soft Chews Calming Supplement for Dogs, 70 count - Chewy.com

I also started doing a daily walk (mine are little, so about 1 mile) each morning and that is enough to tire them out and I have transitioned away from the chew treat.

Reactions: 1 user