Elective at NIH vs other clinical electives

Started by summer_l
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

summer_l

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a medical student in the UK looking to do a 4-week elective in the US this summer, mainly to gain some experience of the US healthcare system but also to spend more time in my specialty of interest (Cardiology) in a different environment.
I was recently accepted for a clinical elective in Cardiology at the NIH, which I'm really excited about. I know the NIH is very subspecialised and the patients there have rarer conditions or are being treated under research protocols. So I'm just wondering, in the event I apply for a residency in the US in the future, would it be better for me to do the NIH elective, or should I instead gain my US clinical experience in a more 'normal' hospital setting?
I'd really appreciate any thoughts and advice 🙂