Elective back in canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzylique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me on this. I am student in ireland looking to do a Internal med / GP elective back at dalhousie. Dalhousie offer a wide range of places to go (NS, NB, PEI) to but i was wondering if it's best to do it in hailfax rather than doing it in my hometown of fredricton, NB.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also,
i was wondering if anyone would know where i could find the break down of how many img spots are available for different specialties at different Univeristies.

I tried looking at the carms website but i'm totally lost!

thanks

Hi there. In response to your 1st question, no, it makes no difference where you do your elective. When they are evaluating IMG's for residency at Dal they look at whether you have done an elective in the specialty you are looking at matching to, and whether you have done an elective in Atlantic Canada. You will get credit for doing an elective anywhere through Dal, so if what you want in offered in Fredericton, go home for your elective and enjoy the time with your family in a familiar environment. That's what I did, and it worked out fine.
The CaRMS website sucks. To add to the confusion, what is offered in each program varies from year to year as the provinces sponsor these spots and thus gear them towards what is needed most that year, or what they think they will need by the end of the training period (or maybe they throw darts at a list - who knows?). If you are interested in a particular specialty and are interested in doing it at Dal I highly recommend talking to your provincial department of health to see if they will make a spot for you. If you are interested in doing something that is not high demand in your province, you might be out of luck, but sometimes there are deals to be made. This will, of course, come with return of service, but if you are planning to go home anyway it works out. PM me if you have any further questions, and good luck,
M

thank you very much. I've decided to do a split elective back at home and in halifax!