Elective for Plastics- Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fugy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a 4th year international student (Final year next year) and will be needing to apply for an elective in the coming summer. I know I want to do Plastics. What hospitals and what elective programs (Gen surg? vascular surg?) in the US will aid in my route to Plastics?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any advice?

Should I go for a General Surgery elective? or straight into a Plastic surgery elective (of course, that's if I can find one!).

Thank you.

If you think you want to apply directly to plastics next year, only do plastics electives.

If you plan on applying in general surgery, do ones that will help you match in a good program (plastics in that case would be a bad idea, since it can make your application "smell like PRS," an odor which is very off-putting to general surgery PDs).

Any advice?

Should I go for a General Surgery elective? or straight into a Plastic surgery elective (of course, that's if I can find one!).

Thank you.

Getting a PRS residency spot can be hard as an IMG. Electives should help. If you don't match into a residency focus on getting a GS spot that has an attached independent model residency (fellowship). Ingratiate yourself with the PS department by doing research, being nice to the fellows, going to their journal clubs etc. Even more important - work hard and do well on the in-service exam.