Elective In Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

studentdr

Hello all

I'm planning to do my elective in Ireland. Is there any hospital that has a good A&E for elective students to work in? I'm going in summer!

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I really enjoyed my A&E elective last summer in St. James's Hospital. Especially if you do the night shifts. Sometimes the day shifts can be a little bit more boring, but the nights can be crammed. And they let you do a bit cuz they're so busy. Got to see an emergency cricothyroidectomy, which doesn't happen very much! And got to see the workup of one of the poor british tourists who got hit by a bus over the summer. Was all over the news because it brought up the fact that the pavement looks exactly like the road so they didn't realize they were stepping out into the road. Right when the traffic light turned green.

Hi:

Thanx! I think St James's sounds pretty good. But is it true that you can only do 4 weeks max there? And also TCD said it is very diff for students to get placement there (if there medical school has no "exchange type" programme with them.

Any Alternatives in Ireland (pref the Dublin area?)

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm. how difficult can it be? you go to the consultant, ask them if it's okay, and see :) I don't think you have to go through trinity (although students might get upset if their spots are taken by non-trin students, but anyone who didn't get their act in gear and are only trying to get electives now deserves not getting their top choice). A&E is quite popular though. I'll pm you an email address for one of the AE consultants in SJH and you can try that, although it might take a little while for a response.

St. Vincent's, in the south of the city, also has a brand spanking new A&E unit and attached radiology unit. Opened on 16th January, and they get a nice patient flowthrough. (I'm a bit biased though - I work there at weekends!).

Thank you everyone!!!! THANK YOU for all your advise!!!

Cheers