elective in Korea: where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArcadiaFoxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student from Berlin in my third year and I'd like to do this year's elective term in South Korea. Propably Radiology, Anaesthesia or Neurosurgery.
Right now, I have the opportunity to go to
- Asan Medical Center in Seoul, in Songpa-Du, though they seem to have several hospitals in different areas of Seoul

- Seoul National University in Seoul, in Jongno-gu or Dongsung-Dong (?)

- Gachon / Gil Medical College in Incheon

I am not sure which one I should pick - could somebody please give me some advice? Which clinic / university is would you recommend? And, of course, which area of Seoul would be the most interesting to stay? Seems to be a huge city, so I will propably spend a lot of time in the areas around the hospital...and I have no idea which of these clinics is in the most interesting neighborhood, or close to one.

Thanks much for your help!

Kind regards from Berlin

ArcadiaFoxx

Members don't see this ad.

Seoul National University medical school is the Harvard medical school of Korea. Asan medical center is owned and operated by Hyundai conglomerate family. Asan is also a top notch medical center as well. Asan's heart transplant program is world reknown.

Seoul National University medical school is located in the north part of Seoul. It's the traditional area of Seoul, so there are lots of traditional building and palaces along with high rise buildings. Also, there are many universities near by, so there are many cool hang out spots.

Asan medical center is located in the south side of Seoul. South side is new and modern with lots of high rise buildings.

I would not recommand Incheon.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and the information!

Sounds like both Asan and SNU could be interesting, but I think I might go for SNU...not sure yet, also have to wait for the final confirmation.

Bit worried about accomodation, though. Seems like I'd have to pay at least 600 USD/month for a bed in a twin room in a dorm with public bathroom at SNUCM.
That's why I had Incheon in mind: They have a cooperation with my college, and I could get accomodation for 200 USD for a whole month there. I am sure that Seoul is definately more exciting (and I'd prefer to stay there), but are there any other reasons why you wouldn't recommend Incheon? I heard Seoul is easily accesible via a subway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seoul is the epicenter of the entertainment, economy and government. Think of Seoul as a combination of Los Angeles, New York city and Washington D.C. Enough said.

I am sure that Seoul is much more exciting than Incheon. But I thought it might stay in Incheon because I can get very low-priced accomodation there, and I have some difficulties with getting affordable accomodation in Seoul.

I thought that Seoul is easy to reach from Incheon in about an hour?
Has anybody heard anything about Gachon / Gil Medical college in Incheon?

But I'd also be glad if anybody could recommend me an affordable accomodation option in Seoul. Thanks!

Thank you very much for the info.
Unfortunately, I wasn'T able to go to Korea this summer for personal reasons, but I might try again next year.

I think I prefer SNU.

Would be great if I could get back to you then with some questions about Seoul when I finally get the chance to make the trip!

I am a medical student from Berlin in my third year and I'd like to do this year's elective term in South Korea. Propably Radiology, Anaesthesia or Neurosurgery.
Right now, I have the opportunity to go to
- Asan Medical Center in Seoul, in Songpa-Du, though they seem to have several hospitals in different areas of Seoul

- Seoul National University in Seoul, in Jongno-gu or Dongsung-Dong (?)

- Gachon / Gil Medical College in Incheon

I am not sure which one I should pick - could somebody please give me some advice? Which clinic / university is would you recommend? And, of course, which area of Seoul would be the most interesting to stay? Seems to be a huge city, so I will propably spend a lot of time in the areas around the hospital...and I have no idea which of these clinics is in the most interesting neighborhood, or close to one.

Thanks much for your help!

Kind regards from Berlin

ArcadiaFoxx

Hi there,
Where would I be able to apply for elective in Korea? Are there websites for Asan or Soeul National University?
Thanks =)

Asan pays the most here even during residency or internship...
According to the recent news report regarding internship and residency...

For those that have gone to the elective, can you explain a little bit of your experience in Korea?