China and Eastern Asia Elective in Korea

Started by min63
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

min63

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm trying to decide if I should have an away elective in korea (Yonsei) for my 4th year, most likely dermatology or ophtho... I'm Korean American, speak the language, I even lived there for a couple months.. My only issue is... I believe the Korean medical/schooling system is very different, especially towards girls... I'm worried that people might be mean/ expecting me to fetch them coffee/working me to the bone..... is this a dumb concern?? I would love some input from people who's been to Korea for rotations, or any interns/residents in Korea?? 🙂 Thanks a bunch.
 
Hey,
Nah, I don't think you need to worry about that. I mean, Korea changed a lot, and if you have been there in the recent years, it's a very very modern society. Well and as for working you to the bone, that might happen not because of sex but due to just being M4 🙂

I'm also into thinking about doing a month next year in Korea. Searching SDN showed either SNU, Ajou are like the top top hospitals in Korea, and I'm personally biased towards Yonsei because I just like everything about Yonsei. If I do go for it, maybe we'll see each other! haha