Elective in Wales

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fecia82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an spanish student of medicine in my last course of my career.

I've contacted with some medical schools in the UK for a clinical attachment.

I choosed Wales and I have these options:

University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff
Llandough Hospital, Penarth
Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Llantrisant
Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend
Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil
Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport
Morriston Hospital, Swansea
Nevill Hall Hospital, Abergavenny
Singleton Hospital, Swansea
Prince Philip Hospital, Llanelli
Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest
West Wales General Hospital, Carmarthen
Ysbyty Bronglais, Aberystwyth
Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor
Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, Rhyl
Wrexham Maelor Hospital, Wrexham

I think the best one is University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff.

Any advices?

Please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

:) HI, as u know cardiff is the capital of wales so for starts its a great place to hang out, lots of things to see and do. The UNiversity Hospital of Wales (UHW) is a lage teching hospital with a lot of medical students on the wards so u'll have no problems finding people to talk to. The staff are friendly but becasue its a large hospital thing sdo get busy sometimes and u may fell left out, student here do complain of lack of teaching sometimes. For your elective it depends what u want gain out of it, if its teaching u want then there are better hospitals for teching like Morriston or Singleton in Swansea, or Pricess of Wales in Bridgend. You can even go up north wales to Whrexam (great hospital with good accomodation but pretty far from cardiff). Alternatively if you want to just have a relaxing elective and get to know the students here and get a feel of medicine in wales, then cardiff wpuld be my first choice, u would not get bored. Clearly it aslo depends on your elective topic!!. Good luck. Fell free to contact me, if u need any help or more information, or even contact details. i am currently a 5th yr medical student, about to take my final exams, i just did my elective myself, and i know it can be apin to organise, so organise it early. Tambien hablo espanol, si quieres hablar en espanol, buena suerte. ;)

chao

ernesto jones