Elective Month Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hipocampa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm PGY1 on H1b visa wanna have elective rotation outside the State where my visa was issued . Is there a problem with that. Any experience . The lawyer told me it's not allowed except for few hospitals within the same State unless to apply for a new H1 petition.

I don't have information or any resourcses to confirm , I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,

I'm PGY1 on H1b visa wanna have elective rotation outside the State where my visa was issued . Is there a problem with that. Any experience . The lawyer told me it's not allowed except for few hospitals within the same State unless to apply for a new H1 petition.

I don't have information or any resourcses to confirm , I appreciate the advice.
You would believe us over your attorney?

Reactions: 2 users
one of my friends same situation in another State and did her elective outside her State without a problem .
the point that I used to build my experience from different sources and opinions not just from one source.

Just to make it clear I mean State where I live to another State e.g from Pennsylvanian to Florida

Why I need to do that is simply to build connections for future fellowship.

Last edited:
one of my friends same situation in another State and did her elective outside her State without a problem .
the point that I used to build my experience from different sources and opinions not just from one source.

I understand but an immigration attorney is going to be your best source.

AFAIK, H1B visas are sponsored by your training institution. It is not transferable; you need one for each employer.

If your elective was at an affiliated program, then I suppose you could make the case that it is the same sponsor, and the H1B visa you currently have would be fine.

Now technically if you do an elective at an outside institution, your home program is still your employer, assuming they approve the elective.

I honestly don't think any of us here have enough experience with this. Perhaps @aProgDirector has some insight.

WS's answer is spot on. You need a separate H1b from each employer you work for. If you are working for (and being paid by) Hospital A but go do a rotation at Hospital B, you should be fine. The problem is that when you want to do an "away" rotation, especially with a program that is not affiliated with your home institution, they may want to see proof of ability to work legally even if they are not paying you directly. In addition, you will need a license in that state, and some BoM's may want to see your visa also. Bottom line is that it's probably legal, but many hospitals may decline to consider you simply because there's enough "grey" and they don't want to inadvertently create a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks aProgDirector,
here is the update, the lawyer told me we've to fill in amendum for H1 visa to proceed with the elective. but seems now the problem is as you've mentioned most of the programs need a license, also I wonder if out of the state elective rotation is not uncommon and my program will accept it.

thanks aProgDirector,
here is the update, the lawyer told me we've to fill in amendum for H1 visa to proceed with the elective. but seems now the problem is as you've mentioned most of the programs need a license, also I wonder if out of the state elective rotation is not uncommon and my program will accept it.
You will need 3 things here. The visa addendum (or amendment...I have no idea what you meant to say, but whatever), a training/temporary/limited license in the other state (assuming that state needs it) and the permission of your current PD.

You seem to be approaching this kind of bass ackwards and you should start with asking your PD if s/he will even let you do such an elective, before you start dropping coin on lawyers and licenses.

Also, you (just like this dude) are vastly exaggerating the benefit of doing an away elective in terms of improving your ability to get a fellowship spot.

Reactions: 1 users