elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgurl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new to this website... so sorry if this is a boring question. I'm from New Zealand planning to do my elective in Toronto next year, hopefully either in ICU/anaesthetics/medicine. I was wondering if any one knew of hospitals that are good for electives, ie. they're used to having elective students plus teaching is good as well as they allow us to take some time off... Does anyone know of hospitals that provide accomodation as well?? (Since I dn't know anyone in Toronto and I'll be travelling there for the first time!!) :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey medgurl,

I don't know the answer to your question since I'm on the West coast (it's nicer here... :D ) but you may have better luck getting an answer by going to the Canadian Premed 101 forums.

Cheers,
thatuvicguy

Hey UVic guy, how is application going... any secondaries or not yet. Make sure to email UNECOM and demonstrate interest. The interviewers are Canadian friendly.. and when you get that point you can drop my name.. I am sure they will remember. hehehe
BA

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for answering my question doc vill

medgurl said:
Hi!

Hi medgurl how are you
well I am not sure if I can help you with Toronto but I know that its way easier to do it in Winnipeg,Manitoba and they accept alot of stduents here from all over the world to come and do electives .. so you might want to try to apply to university of Manitoba in Winniep,Manitoba and see what they have to say
Good Luck

I am a former caribbean med student. In 2001 I did an anesthesia/critical care rotation at St.Michaels in Toronto. It was excellent! The hospital is right in the middle of downtown. I arranged it through the University of Toronto. Their website had descriptions of all the various electives. I highly reccommend it!

Thanks very much...

How do I go about organising accomodation? Is there hospital accomodation available at St. Michaels? What is the cheapest/closest accomodation in Toronto, if I was to do my rotation in St. Michaels?

Medgurl

My brother(s) both live in Toronto, so I stayed with them. Sorry. I'm not sure how you would go about finding a place. Maybe www.roomates.com?

Good luck. Toronto is a beautiful city and is alot of fun. Lots of things to do. Lots of diversity.

Hey Medgurl,

Most CDN schools will allow you to do electives, as long as you go throught the proper channels. You can go to there medschool website and download and application to do an elective and apply. I have not heard of anyone who did this that got turned down.

Accomodations can be tricky, but I am sure you can find places, depending when you go. check the newspapers for people subletting or renting places:
torontosun.com
torontostar.com
good luck,
R