Electives 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcrd

Playing doctor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm interested in knowing what your program's policy is regarding 4th year electives. In my program we get only 4 months, 2 of which must be done within our hospital system. If services need to be covered, those 4 months are not guaranteed. I would love to hear how other programs handle electives and 4th year rotations in general.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of it is open. one month doing 'rural' (basically scutting and playing PA for a doc who cares nothing about your education for the most part. Q1 call at some hospitals.) One month doing 'ambulatory' which is half day clinics where you do one h*p and leave. The purpose of this rotation is to give us time to study for the medicine SHELF, which we don't take in third year, instead using an outmoded, ridiculous, ambiguous, and often times clinically ******ed test.

We are free to do sub-Is, not do sub-Is, and take whatever we want from anything, as well as having the option of two research months.

Your school sounds much much more ridiculous though. That's just ludicrous.

Oh i'm stupid. Apparently I'm so dyslexic PGY looks like MS.