electives before cores?

game24

Nov 8, 2012
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I am planning on doing a FM rotation first followed by 24 weeks of electives. Is it ok for me to do the electives before completing my other cores? Does it affect residency/licensing?

game24

Nov 8, 2012
    1. Pre-Pharmacy
      It won't affect residency or licensing except in the case of performance evaluations (ie electives are usually done after Cores so you might not fare as well in comparison as students who do them the usual way).

Thanks for the advice. I also have the option of doing an FM rotation + 2 electives(8 weeks). Would ophthalmology and neurology be good choices since they maybe not as dependent on knowledge/skills obtained from the cores relative to other electives?

About the Ads

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
      15+ Year Member
      Nov 21, 2005
      Texas
      1. Attending Physician
        Thanks for the advice. I also have the option of doing an FM rotation + 2 electives(8 weeks). Would ophthalmology and neurology be good choices since they maybe not as dependent on knowledge/skills obtained from the cores relative to other electives?

I would not do neurology unless you have had some IM under your belt. Much of neurology is identifying the cause of the neurological problem which can be metabolic, pharmacologic, pathologic, genetic, psychiatric, etc. It is almost never cut and dry.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.