electives before cores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

game24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on doing a FM rotation first followed by 24 weeks of electives. Is it ok for me to do the electives before completing my other cores? Does it affect residency/licensing?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't affect residency or licensing except in the case of performance evaluations (ie electives are usually done after Cores so you might not fare as well in comparison as students who do them the usual way).

It won't affect residency or licensing except in the case of performance evaluations (ie electives are usually done after Cores so you might not fare as well in comparison as students who do them the usual way).

Thanks for the advice. I also have the option of doing an FM rotation + 2 electives(8 weeks). Would ophthalmology and neurology be good choices since they maybe not as dependent on knowledge/skills obtained from the cores relative to other electives?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that sounds better for the reasons you given. There are two or three other threads on this exact same topic in this forum and although they are a few years old I think the advice in them is still solid. You might consider doing a search for them.

Thanks for the advice. I also have the option of doing an FM rotation + 2 electives(8 weeks). Would ophthalmology and neurology be good choices since they maybe not as dependent on knowledge/skills obtained from the cores relative to other electives?

I would not do neurology unless you have had some IM under your belt. Much of neurology is identifying the cause of the neurological problem which can be metabolic, pharmacologic, pathologic, genetic, psychiatric, etc. It is almost never cut and dry.