Nov 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi,

I am planning on doing a FM rotation first followed by 24 weeks of electives. Is it ok for me to do the electives before completing my other cores? Does it affect residency/licensing?

OP
G
Nov 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
It won't affect residency or licensing except in the case of performance evaluations (ie electives are usually done after Cores so you might not fare as well in comparison as students who do them the usual way).
Thanks for the advice. I also have the option of doing an FM rotation + 2 electives(8 weeks). Would ophthalmology and neurology be good choices since they maybe not as dependent on knowledge/skills obtained from the cores relative to other electives?

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the advice. I also have the option of doing an FM rotation + 2 electives(8 weeks). Would ophthalmology and neurology be good choices since they maybe not as dependent on knowledge/skills obtained from the cores relative to other electives?
I would not do neurology unless you have had some IM under your belt. Much of neurology is identifying the cause of the neurological problem which can be metabolic, pharmacologic, pathologic, genetic, psychiatric, etc. It is almost never cut and dry.