Electives before cores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobluegirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been assigned a third year schedule that has 4 months of electives before cores start. Does anyone know what the best elective to start out with is? I don't know what I want to specialize in yet, so I thought an IM elective first would help, but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang. Most electives are based on the core rotations. If I were you, I'd do OMM, rural med (if you have to do one of these), perhaps set up a pathology rotation with the local ME, and something like ophthalmology or dermatology. Alternative med perhaps?

I've been assigned a third year schedule that has 4 months of electives before cores start. Does anyone know what the best elective to start out with is? I don't know what I want to specialize in yet, so I thought an IM elective first would help, but I'm not sure.

Find out from older students, faculty, etc. which electives are appropriate for a 3rd year student that would give you good hands-on clinical skills, practice in reading radiographs, and/or a solid load of healthy patients (outpatient) to master your physical exam skillz.

And oh yeah, do a research month.

You're very lucky that your school gives you 4 months of electives in 3rd year. I envy you.