electives during fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princesslamb

Reaction score
Currently doing fellowship and unfortunately I am the only fellow (no senior fellows to guide). I have already been exploited by nurses and medical assistants when I first came here to do their share of work (prior authorizations, medical forms), and this place has an NP telling the fellow the tasks and the schedule. Now they are saying that during electives I am supposed to stick to my normal clinic schedule that I have year around (not including research) in addition to the elective. On my consults months I have clinic days with each attending,, and then with electives I was expecting to just focus on the elective schedule but they are telling me I have to do both elective and my regular clinic days with each attending. Of course my first thought was it is bizarre, and never saw that in residency but being I am the only fellow it is not like I can go to GME as they will know who complained. Any comments or ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

There is not enough information here to comment definitively, though it seems inappropriate to have an NP coordinate a fellow schedule. But in regards to specific tasks, I absolutely did prior auths and signed medical forms during my fellowship. Also had to attend my continuity clinic regardless of what rotation I was on (ie I left whatever my rotation was during my half day of clinic). So I would not say that just based on the tasks you have been assigned that you have been exploited.

If you think the tasks you are being given are inappropriate, you need to talk to your PD and hope that they are sympathetic. Otherwise you really don't have anyone else who can advocate for you or make changes.

There is not enough information here to comment definitively, though it seems inappropriate to have an NP coordinate a fellow schedule. But in regards to specific tasks, I absolutely did prior auths and signed medical forms during my fellowship. Also had to attend my continuity clinic regardless of what rotation I was on (ie I left whatever my rotation was during my half day of clinic). So I would not say that just based on the tasks you have been assigned that you have been exploited.

If you think the tasks you are being given are inappropriate, you need to talk to your PD and hope that they are sympathetic. Otherwise you really don't have anyone else who can advocate for you or make changes.
One clinic day is reasonable, but expecting me to go to all four clinic days of the week along with the elective rotation I found strange...what do you think?

Agree that there's not enough information. Each fellowship is set up differently. I interviewed at places where the fellows were in clinic M-F unless they were on inpatient or a research block. My fellowship program had continuity clinic each week regardless of research vs clinic, but we changed during my third year from doing continuity clinic instead of inpatient on those days to only doing inpatient when we were assigned for the week. Our other clinics were spread over 1-3 days with specific attendings that rotated each block. But we also didn't have specific 'elective' rotations. In contrast, my friend in another field had specific rotations she did each month, so while she had her continuity clinic each week, what attending clinics and other clinics she did in a given week was driven by the rotation that she was on.

So, I echo GoSpursGo in that you need to talk to your PD about what is reasonable vs not.