Electives During M4 To Make Intern Yr Easier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What electives during m4 year do you think will help the most for intern year in prelim med.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Critical Care.

The MICU rotation is probably the most dreaded for any medicine intern. Since you will mostly likely have this rotation, and it could even be in July, the more comfortable you are with critical care issues the better off you'll be.

Otherwise, nothing can prepare you for intern year. Enjoy yourself this year!

Critical Care.

The MICU rotation is probably the most dreaded for any medicine intern. Since you will mostly likely have this rotation, and it could even be in July, the more comfortable you are with critical care issues the better off you'll be.

well said.

i'd also like to add, that if emergency medicine is not a requirement at your instititution, strongly consider doing that rotation. you'll get an opporunity to see patients early in the process, learn how to think quickly, get some suturing in... amongst other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll echo MICU and EM, but other than that I would say try to enjoy your 4th year b/c there is nothing that will truly prepare you for internship, other than actually being a physician in the thick of it.

Critical Care.

That's my school's IM program director said. He feels that interns who either had MICU late in the m4 year (or early as an intern) feel a lot more confident about their CC skills and it helps carry over into the other inpatient months.

What electives during m4 year do you think will help the most for intern year in prelim med.

Anything that allows you to go in at 9 am and leave at noon.

word. anything that will allow you to stockpile sleep, visit with your loved ones, and party like a rockstar at least two nights a week.

I think the top three in no particular order (at least when I was in med school):

1.) Anesthesia
2.) Radiology
3.) Dermatology

Even better if there is a "home study" elective available.

i thought my ICU month mid-m4 year really helped my confidence so as not to freak out when dealing with critical care patients as an intern. it at least gave me a grasp on the vocabulary and some familiarity with drips. i went into a surgical field so i did a SICU sub-i.

the end of your m4 year, however, do the fun and easy things.

Dude, dont worry about taking challenging rotations your fourth year to "prepare" for internship. Take the most fluff, easy, rotations you can and enjoy your time off during fourth year because internship will be enough work and you'll wish you had taken time to have fun, get drunk, get laid, hang with friends. Internship isn't about knowing anything, its about getting **** done. They could get a monkey to do our job as an intern. We're just warm bodies to get work done.