Electives for EM Residents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beriberi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search for this (so I apologize if this has been discussed at length before)...

I am trying to find something interesting to do as a second year elective. (That is, as a PGY-2). Does anybody know of any good programs? Is there anything that is really great at your program that I should come and learn more about?

I am looking for things that are (any or all of the following): warm, foreign, outdoors, facinating, affordable, flexible...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

beriberi said:
I tried to search for this (so I apologize if this has been discussed at length before)...

I am trying to find something interesting to do as a second year elective. (That is, as a PGY-2). Does anybody know of any good programs? Is there anything that is really great at your program that I should come and learn more about?

Here at UT Southwestern, we have a toxicology rotation for our R-2's. I know that EM resident's from the DO program in Oklahoma come down here to experience our tox (poison center, rounds with our attendings/fellows, etc.). We have a very strong tox fellowship program. It is also one of the lighter months for our second year residents while allowing for a lot of learning in the subspecialty.

http://www.swmed.edu/toxicology/visit-dallas.html
(there is also a link at the bottom of that page for an international rotation with poison centers in other countries but I have not heard much about that one.)

beriberi said:
I am looking for things that are (any or all of the following): warm, foreign, outdoors, facinating, affordable, flexible...

thanks!

Dallas:
warm :thumbup:
foreign (learn to speak Texan: "howdy," "fixin-to," "ain't," and "ya'll") :D
affordable (definitely a low cost of living compared to the other major cities/metro areas) :thumbup:
flexible: great schedule (no call or weekends) :thumbup:

I'll let you know more of the details when I ask the tox faculty or the R-2's and R-3's.

-Andy

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy- don't forget the all important 'I tell ewe whut'. :D

My vote goes to NYC!

If you want to do tox, nothing beats the NYPC (goldfrank being one of the leaders). All Em residencies in NYC do a rotation here and BAMC in SA also comes up here. Its a well loved (deservedly) rotation.

If you want EM Ultrasound, I personally think we have a great program. And its in NYC. You also get food bought for you every thursday. You will get lots of scans and hell, your in NYC.

Food, fun, hell, its nyc.

If you like U/S, Chris Fox at UC-Irvine also has a great program and he is a really amazing and fun guy. Course, the downside, its irvine..... but it is warm, close to San Diego and LA........

A number of our residents have been doing trauma in Las Vegas. Its a HUGE trauma center, with no EM residents, they feed you and give you housing. Its Vegas, if you like that..... They do a ton of thoracotamies, etc so if you want a big trauma experience its good.

A couple of our residents have also done a trauma elective at Ryder in Miami. And well, its miami. High volume, lots of procedures and hell, south beach. what more is there to say?

Personally, I am trying to do a rotation in SF. but we shall see.

I've heard great things about NYU/NYPCC's tox program. We also do rotations there as third years. I'm thinking of a tox fellowship, and one of our current faculty is pushing me towards NYU's program. He's a graduate there and speaks very highly of it. Can't wait to do my rotation there. Supposedly one of the top 2 programs in the country (some people claim it's better than Colorado's program, others say Colorado has a better program).

Regarding trauma, if you want to do a trauma rotation, I recommend looking into a visiting resident rotation at the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial in Miami. I think the rotation can be set up to also include flight time with Metro Dade Fire Rescue's air medical program.

southerndoc said:
I've heard great things about NYU/NYPCC's tox program. We also do rotations there as third years. I'm thinking of a tox fellowship, and one of our current faculty is pushing me towards NYU's program. He's a graduate there and speaks very highly of it. Can't wait to do my rotation there. Supposedly one of the top 2 programs in the country (some people claim it's better than Colorado's program, others say Colorado has a better program).

Regarding trauma, if you want to do a trauma rotation, I recommend looking into a visiting resident rotation at the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial in Miami. I think the rotation can be set up to also include flight time with Metro Dade Fire Rescue's air medical program.

I'm looking forward to my rotation in 2 months! Its a great rotation. One of our graduating seniors is starting his tox fellowship there next year.

and well, nyc is cooler than denver. *g*

Thanks for the good suggestions so far. I have a tox rotation next year as part of our standard curriculum at a fairly large regional poison control center, so I am not so interested in more tox as an elective. But hopefully it helps somebody else....

As far as the Yale program goes: has anyone done that? Do you know if it is fairly competitive?

Thank you and keep the suggestions rolling...

roja said:
and well, nyc is cooler than denver. *g*
Having lived long periods in both places
Colder yes. Cooler no

Anyway, some friends of mine did electives in hyberbaric medicine in Hawaii and had a pretty good time. I did a rotation with IHS in Alaska and had a great time.