Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khushi

some indian chick
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly confused as to what their purpose is. Can someone please explain? I'm supposed to be taking one, I believe, next semester (starting my 3rd year in a Pharm. D. program).

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm...generally, electives are to give you exposure to different practice possibilities within pharmacy. For example, you may not know if you have an interest in pediatrics, administration, geriatrics, drug information. Electives are designed (again in general) to provide more exposure than what the curriculum all students take allow. However, perhaps you need to seek out your advisor. He/she may be able to help you find out what the school has to offer where your interests lie.

hmmm...generally, electives are to give you exposure to different practice possibilities within pharmacy. For example, you may not know if you have an interest in pediatrics, administration, geriatrics, drug information. Electives are designed (again in general) to provide more exposure than what the curriculum all students take allow. However, perhaps you need to seek out your advisor. He/she may be able to help you find out what the school has to offer & where your interests lie.

Members don't see this ad :)
ooops - slow internet connection & dupilcate post.....sorry :(

i found electives to pretty much be my favorite classes during school. I took a peds and advanced psych elective, they were great because it is a small class and you talk about more indepth topics than in regular therapeutics, etc.

yeah, i heard they are interesting too.

is there any based on education? i'm hoping, in my later years of practice, that i would get a chance to work as a professor in the pharmacy course itself.

Khushi said:
yeah, i heard they are interesting too.

is there any based on education? i'm hoping, in my later years of practice, that i would get a chance to work as a professor in the pharmacy course itself.
your 3rd year in a 4 year program or your 3rd year in a 6 year program?

you don't seem to know much about your program as these things are school specific......

ultracet said:
your 3rd year in a 4 year program or your 3rd year in a 6 year program?

you don't seem to know much about your program as these things are school specific......

currently, 2nd year in a 6-0 year. the information we were given in our first year orientation was a bit vague.

Generally speaking, electives are courses on topics which can be useful to some aspects of pharmacy practice but are not something that the school feels all students should be required to take. They may cover topics only of interest to some, or they may cover topics in greater depth than is needed by every student. This quarter I am taking an infectious disease elective. In the past I have taken electives in subjects such as business, contraceptive management, immunizations, advanced compounding, medical devices, and diagnostic medicianal chemistry.

So far I've taken Biotransformation (in depth drug metabolism) and Drugs & Society (focuses on recreational drug use). I have to take two more when I get back from rotations next year.

dgroulx said:
So far I've taken Biotransformation (in depth drug metabolism) and Drugs & Society (focuses on recreational drug use). I have to take two more when I get back from rotations next year.
Sorry to hijack but I wanted to say good luck on your rotations, hopefully you've got some good ones!

dgroulx said:
Drugs and Society is one I'd take. We have a couple of chemical dependency electives offered here. (Oh yeah, I took one of those too.) They focus more on addiction itself rather than types of street drugs, interactions, etc.

We get to take 2 electives each quarter of our second year here at MWU-CPG. Each is worth 1.5 credit. Here are examples of the electives offered our first two quarters:

Medical Spanish
Managing Pharmacy Benefits
Pharmacy Based Screenings
Dangerous Plants and Animals
Infectious Diseases (refresher of what we already learned)
Pharmaceutical Formulation & Analysis (more detail into compounding)
PDA information
Substances of Abuse (this was 3 credits)
Clinical Applications of PDA
Special research projects

Its basically what interests you. If none of them interests you then probably whatever seems easiest.