Electric Field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you have a - electric field due to a negative source charge. every book uses a + source energy and gets a + electric field. I am using he formula E=kQ/r^2.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes you can, and you can use the equation you're using to get it. You'll get a negative electric field which means that it's "flowing" into the negative charge. I'm not sure how familiar you are with electric fields but an electric field flows into a negative charge.

yes you can, and you can use the equation you're using to get it. You'll get a negative electric field which means that it's "flowing" into the negative charge. I'm not sure how familiar you are with electric fields but an electric field flows into a negative charge.

Both posts have it right. Electric field is a vector quantity, the only difference b/t fields created by + VS - charges is its direction. If one points North, the other points South and as Cjc555777 they point from + to - charges.

See attachment.

Attachments

• Electric Field.gif
    Electric Field.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 116