Electrochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyborgNinjaX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it absolutely necessary to know the differences between the anodes and the cathodes in electrolytic cells and Daniell cells? Its pretty difficult to differentiate between them and I'm starting to get frustrated.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely know what you mean. I'd be hesitant to rule anything out completely, but you could get by on key points. I think the 2 main points to remember on electrochemical cells are:

1) "AN OX - RED CAT" the anode is always site of oxidation and cathode is always reduced

2) the CAThode always attracts CATions.

And that holds true in both galvanic and electrolytic cells, so it's pretty easay to remember. In my opinion, if you can at least keep these 2 things in mind, I feel like your chances will be pretty good when it comes to answering q's on this specific topic. The only thing that is different b/w the 2 cell types are that the +/- signs are reversed. I don't really have a great way to remember these other than just memorizing the picture of the galvanic cell and knowing that the anode is negative. Then I know that the electrolytic is just reversed.