Electrophysiology (EP) Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lub-dub

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I just like to start a forum specifically for EP. I will be applying for EP next year and am interested in what ya' all have to say about this cool field. Just to start it off:
1. What are some good EP programs out there?
2. Any tip on the application?
3. Job market after graduation?
4. Any cool websites or educational sites?

Hope to hear from all!
Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

great idea. i honestly think we ought to have more discussions like these about the different sub specialties. personally im biased towards EP myself considering ive been doing EP research for the last 3 years, lol. but yeah, its a very eccentric field (in regards to the material).

Thanks for this topic.
I will have an CCEP interview next month.Any suggestion about the interview?
What kind of questions I wold be asked?
Thanks for your attentions

Members don't see this ad :)
Evaluating EP fellowships is difficult. Not a lot of information is available compared to the statistics you can find regarding IM and cardiology programs.

Things I would look for include:

1. Who are the EP faculty at the program?
2. What kind of volume does the program have? (more is better). Do they do complex ablations? The vast majority of programs have adequate device volume and the learning curve for devices is less steep. The variable that separates acceptable and excellent EP fellowships is complex ablations (Afib, VT). That said, the program should also have an adequate volume of SVT procedures.
3. To what extent are the fellows at that program "hands on"? (believe it or not, when I interviewed at various programs, I was amazed how at some programs the fellows have very little "hands on" time with the catheters.) EP is a procedural field. Learning by doing is everything. You must also read and learn the literature, but without significant hands on time, you cannot be properly trained.
4. Two years of training. One year is not enough in my opinion.

Job prospects are excellent if you are trained in A fib. The majority of jobs state that they prefer people who can do Afib, VT and other left sided procedures competently out of training.

I think the best programs in the country are (in no particular order)

U Penn
Michigan
Brigham
Indiana

That said, there are lots of very good programs across the country. EP programs are a lot more sensitive to faculty changes than general cardiology programs. As a result, programs that a few years ago were huge have declined in reputation (and arguably quality of training). The flip side of this is that there are less well known programs ( to non EPs ) what have good EP fellowships due to an exodus of faculty from another program. A good example of this would be Duke and MUSC.

I didn't sense a lot different about EP interviews compared to cards interviews.

Get as much EP training as you can during general cardiology before you start your EP fellowship. Learn as much as you can about devices, device follow up, EP pharmacology, the principles of basic electrophysiology and EP studies, etc. If you cannot take most of your final year of general cards in EP, spend as much time as you can in the cath lab working with your hands. Manual dexterity and having "good hands" is more important in EP than in any other field of cardiology.

I hope that helps.

I am a MD/PHD returning to clinic in July I am pretty sure I want to do cardiac EP. I am beginning to research programs. Any thoughts on what the best programs are currently? Anyone on this forum do the research pathway IM/cards followed by EP?
There seem to be a dearth of programs that offer (or at least advertise) both AGME cards EP fellowships and ABIM research pathway residencies. Most with a well developed website site for one lack the other.
Penn clearly would do this.
Would any of the ABIM research pathway programs guarantee a cardiac EP fellowship spot?

do you need an EP fellowship to implant defibrillators? can a surgeon do it?

do you need an EP fellowship to implant defibrillators? can a surgeon do it?

Anyone can do anything as long as the hospital grants you priviledges for it. I've seen both surgeons and general cardiologists placing them. Now, if there's a group of cardiologists and one of them is an EP then from what I've seen they *usually* refer those types of procedures to the EP since that's at least part of why he's there.

-The Trifling Jester

Hi all,
I am a cardiology applicant interested in academic EP. I have done both basic and clinical research and would like to go to a program that has both strong clinical EP as well as basic science research in EP. I know the top programs (Penn, Mich, BIDMC, Mayo, Indiana etc) but the thing is I did not get invite from many of these places. I will highly appreciate if you could help me rank these programs based on volume of EP procedures and basic/translational research in EP: Mayo, Wash U, Pitts, NW, Mt Sinai, UAB, Emory and Iowa.
Thanks in advance.

Evaluating EP fellowships is difficult. Not a lot of information is available compared to the statistics you can find regarding IM and cardiology programs.

Things I would look for include:

1. Who are the EP faculty at the program?
2. What kind of volume does the program have? (more is better). Do they do complex ablations? The vast majority of programs have adequate device volume and the learning curve for devices is less steep. The variable that separates acceptable and excellent EP fellowships is complex ablations (Afib, VT). That said, the program should also have an adequate volume of SVT procedures.
3. To what extent are the fellows at that program "hands on"? (believe it or not, when I interviewed at various programs, I was amazed how at some programs the fellows have very little "hands on" time with the catheters.) EP is a procedural field. Learning by doing is everything. You must also read and learn the literature, but without significant hands on time, you cannot be properly trained.
4. Two years of training. One year is not enough in my opinion.

Job prospects are excellent if you are trained in A fib. The majority of jobs state that they prefer people who can do Afib, VT and other left sided procedures competently out of training.

I think the best programs in the country are (in no particular order)

U Penn
Michigan
Brigham
Indiana

That said, there are lots of very good programs across the country. EP programs are a lot more sensitive to faculty changes than general cardiology programs. As a result, programs that a few years ago were huge have declined in reputation (and arguably quality of training). The flip side of this is that there are less well known programs ( to non EPs ) what have good EP fellowships due to an exodus of faculty from another program. A good example of this would be Duke and MUSC.

I didn't sense a lot different about EP interviews compared to cards interviews.

Get as much EP training as you can during general cardiology before you start your EP fellowship. Learn as much as you can about devices, device follow up, EP pharmacology, the principles of basic electrophysiology and EP studies, etc. If you cannot take most of your final year of general cards in EP, spend as much time as you can in the cath lab working with your hands. Manual dexterity and having "good hands" is more important in EP than in any other field of cardiology.

I hope that helps.

UPenn is far and away the top program, but oddly they actively try to not recruit EP interested applicants, so if you apply there for general cards. you are best to hide that interest. Brigham and Michigan are well-known EP powerhouses. Hopkins has a great program and is Hopkins -- its reputation is second to none. Northwestern recently recruited Brad Knight from U Chicago, and he's a huge name, though in Chicago Loyola is the big EP center. U. Rochester is also a top EP center, though Duke just stole the head of their EP division, so while their clinical volume may be high, their academics will likely suffer. UCSF is also strong. Interestingly, I've never heard Indiana mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a mid-west power house. Where else are they doing ablations around there? All of the programs in NYC say they are EP powerhouses, but Columbia is not really very well-respected in EP, and only Vivek Reddy at Mt Sinai is considered a huge star. Actually, the Chief at Cornell is apparently well respected in EP, so perhaps they are also good. I found it very hard to figure out who was as good as they claimed.

In general, job prospects in EP are pretty terrible right now. Guys fresh out of penn, the top program in the country, were still calling my family member's private practice looking for work late into the job cycle, leading my family member to believe that even the best of the best are scrounging for work. Everyone on the cards interview trail was saying they were interested in EP as well, so the oversupply will likely continue.

I would love to hear from the guy saying that Afib trained people are in high demand. What are the offers he's hearing about. I know my friend who just completed EP fellowship and was well trained in Afib and a star fellow, only had two job offers, neither of which were very attractive. I think, sadly, it's a field that has too many fellows and too few jobs.

Last edited:
Hi all,

EP in general...like the previous people said and what I heard...it does not make any financial sense. You lose out on 2 years of cards income that you will never be able to recover in your life unless you win the lottery (I am told the odds of that happening are worse than the odds of you being hit by lightening). And there are no jobs. The only reason to do EP currently would be if you are passionate about it and think you can get by with fellows salary for 2 more years after cards fellowship.

From my perspective...I am an IMG, holding H1b...currently in 2nd year cards. Interested in EP..Just saw that only a handful of programs exquisitely state that they sponsor H1b...about 10-15 out of 150 EP programs. So thats a bummer to start with. Another frustrating thing...the FRIEDA website does not say anything about visa sponsorship for about 50 programs. I am now painstakingly emailing/ calling these 50 to find out!
Beware some of the links on FREIDA that are supposed to take you to the fellowship website...these links have spelling mistakes!
I also found out that 90% of programs DONT accept applications through ERAS! So you have to find out the process of each individual application.
One of the programs listed on ERAS ( Univ of Ill at Chicago).....when I went to the website.....THERE WAS NO EP FELLOWSHIP on their Univ website!

Please post your experiences.
Peace

Last edited: