Electrophysiology ( EP ) question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool c

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a question. I know what EP docs do, but I was wondering how their practice works? Do they do procedures 1 to 2 days or more a week and then see patients in their office the rest of the time? Is there some inpatient work involved as far consults and such (I would assume this may depend on private vs academic)? Anyhow, any information is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes to all of the above.
I don't really have any knowledge of private practice EP, but would think they'd get occasional hospital consults as well.

Thanks dragonfly. Just wondering, how many days do the EPs spend on avg in the lab/week? any idea? Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
EP docs get plenty of inpatient consults - for all sorts of telemetry crap that don't need a consult, for PPM/ICD placement, etc etc.

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a question. I know what EP docs do, but I was wondering how their practice works? Do they do procedures 1 to 2 days or more a week and then see patients in their office the rest of the time? Is there some inpatient work involved as far consults and such (I would assume this may depend on private vs academic)? Anyhow, any information is greatly appreciated.

yes

Thanks dragonfly. Just wondering, how many days do the EPs spend on avg in the lab/week? any idea? Thanks again.

if by lab you mean the OR doing procedures (like pacing, and implanting devices etc) then 1 or 2 days a week. the other days are spent seeing patients/consults/ doing paper work, and just being plain busy as hell.

There is a very broad spectrum of what EP docs do. Those with busy practices (academic or private) can spend every day in the EP lab. They will also have consults to do, (both for outpatients or inpatients) or else how would they evaluate their patients before-hand?

Those in private practice that are not as busy (maybe they are just starting out, work in the medium-sized private practice, or just don't have many referrings) might only be in the lab one or two days per week. Some EP docs in private practice can get stuck doing general cardiology for part of the week if their volume is low.

Thanks Lurkerboy. I like working with my hands a lot. Being in a busy practice and in the EP lab almost every day sounds awesome! Thanks again.