Elekta imaging rink

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grubbe-a-dub-dub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with the Elekta imaging ring? Pros, cons?

Members don't see this ad.

Streamline the gyn brachy process (minimize having to move the patient back and forth from the sim). Will also allow moving the HDR unit to a new gamma knife vault which is being installed. Right now it's in the conventional linac vault which takes up time on that machine. It will also allow applicator placement verification (right now a CBCT is used to check the applicator). Sim room is not shielded for the HDR, unfortunately. So ultimately I envision a brachy/gamma knife vault and a regular linac vault.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not have any experience with it, but we have considered trying to get one ourselves. I know a clinic which has recently gotten one and wanted to visit them.

The main gain is indeed streamlining the process of gynecologic brachytherapy since you dont have to move the patient to the CT and back to the vault with the applicator in place, you only need to move her to the MRI. We do have one of the cool Zephyr hovercraft systems for moving, but it's still troublesome and costs time.

I can also imagine that you could use the ring for more complex brachytherapy procedures, like interstitial HDR.

And it can potentially revolutionize the way one can do esophageal/bronchial HDR. So far we have only been doing those without a CT-based plan (just fluoroscopy and looking at the baseline CT scans), but with the ring in the vault, you could do a real-time plan in the vault probably?