ELI5 Chest CT - lung windows and bone window.

Started by Gastrin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gastrin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Which window should I use for looking at different structures?
E.g. I understand lung window for pulmonary parenchyma.
But for vessels and mediastinal structures which window should be used.

2. I find it very difficult to find rib fractures in an axial CT (I had a pt with suspected lower rib # but the CXRs were of very poor quality to be of any help & she needed a chest CT anyway)

3. Any other practical tips for reading chest CTs e.g. things which internists are expected to understand in a chest CT.

Thanks 🙂
 
1. Soft tissue windows
2. CXR is terrible for finding rib fx. Like 30% in one study. On CT you can see cortical step off. Just follow each rib if high suspicion. As an early learner, I find the sagittal being what I look at most for bony structures.
3. First master indications for w/wo/hi res.