Eligibilty Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed my high schooling in America and am now on the verge of joining AFMC (I somehow managed to clear the written test and interview :)). My problem is that I have a lingering worry about my eligibity for MBBS in India. Indian medical schools want students to have done Physics, Chemistry and Biology in the intermediate (eleventh and twelfth grades), but high school in America works differently. My last biology class was in tenth grade, and I did chemistry and physics in eleventh and twelfth respectively. I don't know of anyone from the U.S who has done all three sciences in just the last two years of HS. Does anyone know of somebody who went to med school straight out of high school? If so, please clarify my doubt. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

zing said:
I completed my high schooling in America and am now on the verge of joining AFMC (I somehow managed to clear the written test and interview :)). My problem is that I have a lingering worry about my eligibity for MBBS in India. Indian medical schools want students to have done Physics, Chemistry and Biology in the intermediate (eleventh and twelfth grades), but high school in America works differently. My last biology class was in tenth grade, and I did chemistry and physics in eleventh and twelfth respectively. I don't know of anyone from the U.S who has done all three sciences in just the last two years of HS. Does anyone know of somebody who went to med school straight out of high school? If so, please clarify my doubt. Thanks for the help.

Wow congratulations for clearing AFMC entrance! :thumbup: but i wonder how they accepted u r application if u dont match the eligibility criterion.

zing said:
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS for clearing AFMC. :thumbup: Its really great, I never expected child brought up in US can clear an Indian entrance exam. :confused:
Well, I think U might not have to worry that much. If U can handle ur counselling session in a wise manner U'll get seat, otherwise, yeah there r more chances of ur losing the seat.
Do ur best to convince ur counsellors that u deserve the seat. Try to take any kind of letter of recommmendation,etc and tell them that u had gone to USA for studies for few yrs so u were not able to do Bio, but u do know Bio. Be CONFIDENT and remember, Impress them as much as u can and I won't be amazed if they'll ask u for some donation,etc. ;)
I think U got my point, U might have to throw in some dollars to get admission. :)
But BEST OF LUCK from me. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help guys. I hope that this eligibility issue goes of smoothly. My gut feeling is that it shouldn't be a problem, because I hear of so many people directly from hs in the U.S in med school in India. However, I have never personally known anyone who has done this, so I can't be sure.