elimination on a cyclohexane ring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always get confused when it comes to cyclohexane ring, whether we draw it in chair conformation or just 2D looking cyclohexane.

I saw many questions asking which two are anti when it comes to elimination.

I think they also asked which two are anti or staggered.(I am not sure about this 2nd question).

Is there an easy way to find out which two are anti? If leaving group and H are both in axial position, I think they are anti, but I don't know if they can be anti or syn when they are located at equatorial position.

help me plz~

Members don't see this ad.

If I am reading your question correctly you are just asking an easy way to classify anti? If so, then just consider a few things...Look at the functional groups attached and ask yourself whether these are positive or negative molecules (obviously like repels like) and IF they do not produce either, look at steric hindrance or bulk (heavier molecules and larger molecules such as Br- and Cl- will favor less steric hindrance due to their size) OR just look at two functional groups being on opposite ends of each other :D