Elms College Post-bacc Pre-Medical Program 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RK2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

New to SDN here and just wanted to start a thread on this post-bacc program at Elms and see who else is applying and got accepted! I found out I got accepted about a week ago and was wondering who I could be meeting this summer/fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was accepted into Elms, however I don't think I will be attending

I got accepted to Elms, and I am seriously considering it. I will be coming from California, which is quite a move for me. I also got into Cal State East Bay PHAP program, so I would love any input anyone can give about this program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to Elms, and I am seriously considering it. I will be coming from California, which is quite a move for me. I also got into Cal State East Bay PHAP program, so I would love any input anyone can give about this program. Thanks!
I did the program 2017-2019. Currently applying this cycle (COVID messed up my last cycle). I am from Cali as well as were a few other people in the program. It is a smaller college and as someone who came from UCSB which is a massive college it was quite different. I enjoyed my time there and was able to learn a lot as well as do well. I scored decent on my MCAT (511) as well. The program is a type where you get what you put in. If you are one of the hard workers and studying a lot you will do well. Most people that were there when I was there were friendly and I was able to work together towards doing well in the program. We also would meet up and do things like go to movies, have bbqs, and even throw some ragers/kickbacks. Some people were the overly competitive types, but most were not. I think it is a good program, however it is at a small school which means you might get less of certain resources. However I enjoyed the personalization of the program and I got to know all my profs very well. Also I recommend going to by a very heavy snow jacket as I lived across the street from campus and there are some heavy ass snow storms, something as a californian I was not used too at all!

I just got accepted to Elms post bacc for the fall 2021. I’ve done some research, there are some bad and good reviews but those are from a long time ago. Anyone have any Information about the school and the program, the environment. How good is the program? Has anyone who did the program currently in medical school or got accepted? Any information would be very helpful in helping me make my decisio.

I just got accepted to Elms post bacc for the fall 2021. I’ve done some research, there are some bad and good reviews but those are from a long time ago. Anyone have any Information about the school and the program, the environment. How good is the program? Has anyone who did the program currently in medical school or got accepted? Any information would be very helpful in helping me make my decisio.
I will break it down in pros and cons from my time there in 2017-2019.
pros: -I got to know my teachers very well. This helped me get letters, as well as get more help.
-nearby opportunities. There are some charities nearby as well as baystate hospital.
-committee letter. Dr. Williams will write a committee letter for you which is very good
-Because the school is focusing on their nursing program, we do get some slight benefits, like the library being nice (if not a little small, but I never had issues)

Cons: -Private school, so price can be an issue
-school is old, so some parts are definitely old. Can be a bit creepy if you stay late studying (I stayed studying alone once until midnight, do not recommend as it is supposedly haunted in some places)
-I had some kids who were overly competitive in the program and made some aspects unfun/ created drama(this is something I think happens in all programs though)
-There are snow days (I am from cali and this was new to me)
-some of the classes I took were with undergraduates, which was a bit annoying as there was a big difference in motivation as well as trying.

Things I experienced that might be pros/cons for some people:
- the housing was not too bad, was able to find a cheap place with a roommate but was a little old
-the city is very BORING. if you live next to campus without transportation you will not have access to much. I recommend you either bring a car (if you know how to drive in snow), or have a friend with one/ roommate with one. This seperation can be good as it sort of forces you to only focus on studying, which is what I was there for.
-was a far move for me and was very different than what I was used to

Hi! I was part of the post bacc program from 2019-2020 and then I transitioned over to their masters from 2020-2021! My time here was great. I was able to work hard and boost my GPA but also have a great time and be social. For the most part from my post bacc class a lot of us keep in contact and nearly majority of us transitioned over to the masters. In terms of the post bacc you have a lot of opportunities in terms of shadowing, volunteering and doing research but you have to be willing to take up those opportunities. I’m also pre-dental so their is a select few of us but for the most part a lot of the students are pre-Med. Feel free to message me more info!