EM - acting internships/sub-i

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by cmyoung83, Dec 24, 2008.

1. cmyoung83

2+ Year Member

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of programs that offer 4th years an acting internship in emergency medicine. The only programs that I know of are metrohealth and ECU.

Happy holidays!
    C

2. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pretty much any EM residency offers a "sub-i" in EM, whether they title it as such or not. Places that come to mind: Denver, LA county, Indianapolis, BIDMC, MGH/BWH, NY Presbyterian, Christiana in Delaware, Georgetown, SUNY Downstate, UCLA Harbor, SUNY Buffalo, Cincinnati, and I could go on for days.

Like I said - pretty much any EM residency will offer one through their affiliated medical school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It may not be specifically listed as a sub-i or acting internship but under the elective section. Contact programs that you may be interested or that offer a different perspective from your home program (i.e., county, community).

Many schools require 4th year electives in EM and some programs leave the sub-i designation to more traditional fields like medicine/surg.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lucky_deadman

lucky_deadman Working Class Hero
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I whole heartedly second this statement.

Essentially all EM residency programs offer a Sub-I (or sometimes called an A-I or Acting-Internship). They just might not accept visiting students or be able to accommodate your schedule.