EM an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emletters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. I saw others had posted similar questions in this part of the thread rather than in the WAMC thread. I'm new so I wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks!

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster, but since it's the end of 3rd year, I figured I'd make an account to get some advice just for my situation!
About me:
Mid tier program in NYC
227 step 1 (I really didn't put in the time I should have for the first two years)
Honors in internal medicine and psychiatry, HP in everything else (OBGYN, peds, surgery, family med)
I've been working hard and think I can get 240's for step 2

I've applied to multiple aways, but unfortunately only have one scheduled for the end of August-September and I have my home rotation through late June-July. I'm working on seeing if I can get another one.

Other than all that, I really don't have too much exciting about me. I didn't join any clubs or anything like that- just spent time with friends and family in my free time and volunteered at a free clinic here and there for the first couple of years. No leadership positions. I work on a urology paper the summer after first year, but that was never submitted and I never presented it, but did get things started for it.

With all that in mind, what would you say my chances are at programs along the east coast? I don't think I'm too selective, I'd just like to avoid the major cities like Boston and New York, and I'd like to avoid Florida (too hot. lol). I'm more of an outdoors hiking kind of guy. Thanks in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the double post. I saw others had posted similar questions in this part of the thread rather than in the WAMC thread. I'm new so I wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks!

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster, but since it's the end of 3rd year, I figured I'd make an account to get some advice just for my situation!
About me:
Mid tier program in NYC
227 step 1 (I really didn't put in the time I should have for the first two years)
Honors in internal medicine and psychiatry, HP in everything else (OBGYN, peds, surgery, family med)
I've been working hard and think I can get 240's for step 2

I've applied to multiple aways, but unfortunately only have one scheduled for the end of August-September and I have my home rotation through late June-July. I'm working on seeing if I can get another one.

Other than all that, I really don't have too much exciting about me. I didn't join any clubs or anything like that- just spent time with friends and family in my free time and volunteered at a free clinic here and there for the first couple of years. No leadership positions. I work on a urology paper the summer after first year, but that was never submitted and I never presented it, but did get things started for it.

With all that in mind, what would you say my chances are at programs along the east coast? I don't think I'm too selective, I'd just like to avoid the major cities like Boston and New York, and I'd like to avoid Florida (too hot. lol). I'm more of an outdoors hiking kind of guy. Thanks in advance guys!

You should match if you can stand staying in NYC or environs. Everywhere seems to have a program, presumably your school included. Maybe not NYU, but there are so many programs I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to stay in the area. Lincoln, Metropolitan, NYHQ, Wyckoff, SIUH, Brookdale...there must be a spot for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.