EM attendings--do your groups have call??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortbread9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a new em grad out in the real world. i am curious as to how other em groups out there do a "call schedule." it seem like I am on call at least twice a month and usually get called in to fill a shift...pushing my monthly shift load to about 18 (9 hour shifts)...i have done as many as 20 shifts. Since i am new to all this i was not sure how standard this is...i have heard its not. We are medium size group, about 16 full timers and more part time and per diems. Any feedback would be helpful...needless to say I am already overworked and burned out a bit even before taking my boards....not good. i am hard worker and am happy to pull my own weight but i feel this is worse than what i went through in residency.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My group requires two on call days/month from 2-9 PM. Criteria to be called in is 15+ patients all waiting 4+ hours to be seen. Historically few people got called in but a new EMR is killing that. On top of hourly, bonus if you work >4 hours if called in.

We don't get called in for sick calls, everyone scheduled that day works longer hours or comes in early/leaves late. But no one ever calls in sick. You know that.

no call here.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have call before and after our double coverage shifts. I.E. I could be called in 2-3 hours early for one shift and could need to stay for 2-3 hours after another one. I haven't actually been called in in 4-5 months.

No call schedule. For people who are sick or who have a family emergency, an e-mail is sent out to the group. Whoever fills the shift is paid at approx 1.75x the normal hourly rate, or can get credit for 1.75x the normal hours. It is a big group and there is never any trouble filling the shifts, as the pay/hour rate makes it worth it. People don't abuse the system. It's a pretty sweet deal.

No call either. If it's busy, they might ask us to come in 1 hour early, but that's a rarity.

We are required to be available 2 to 3 hours early or late depending on the shift for high volume. This type of call in is rarely used (ie. ~5x a month across 5 hospitals). We also have a formal call schedule to cover for guys who are sick or whatever. That call pays. We pay for it out of our productivity bonus money. It works out to where if you take a call a month you break even, more makes your extra money and less means you're pays others to be on call for you. That system has worked out pretty well but we have seen a rise in its use over the last few years. We are currently considering revising it to disincentivize its use.

hey there! well...it happens to me on numerous occasions...on the DL...i am only with this group for the year...but it sucks to be working more than i did as a resident...pay aside i would rather have my life back..u know?!

hey there! well...it happens to me on numerous occasions...on the DL...i am only with this group for the year...but it sucks to be working more than i did as a resident...pay aside i would rather have my life back..u know?!

If you're only there temporarily it might explain why you are working more.

If you're only there temporarily it might explain why you are working more.

Or your group does not have adequate coverage and they're using the call schedule to fill in instead of adding a new physician/mid-level. Our former director used to be called in constantly secondary to volume, now we run out of nursing/ancillary staff resources long before the physicians max out.