EM Away Rotations

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by oxford, Mar 31, 2004.

1. oxford

oxford Member
    10+ Year Member

How many away rotations?

I'm in the top 10% of my class. I got above the 90th % on Boards (COMLEX). I want to do an EM Allopathic residency. At this point I'm looking at programs based on location (Southeast) and whether they are DO friendly. A am really interested in U. of Maryland and Duke. I will be completing my core EM month at my school in a DO EM program in May. I have already set up an elective at Maryland early enough to get letters. Should I go to Duke also? I'm hesitant for several reasons. I am married with an infant so its obviously hard to pick up and go for a month and also it is expensive to go to Duke. There are so many fees which add up to about $500 before room and board. Are the two rotations I am already scheduled for enough, or should I consider paying the money and rotating at Duke or do a third at another program?

2. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Both UMD and Duke are "DO friendly" I suppose. Don't forget your dear neighbor here at USF/Tampa General. We will have three DOs total this summer (out of 12). I don't think there's a need to do two audition rotations if you are hesitant about the schedule/cost of doing the second one. You will get a LOR from yoru core EM site and then one at UMD. That should be sufficient.

My LOR:
    3rd year EM elective EM attending at a non residency hospital
    4th year EM elective at EM residency
    4th year Trauma Surgeon
    3rd year pulmonologist

Q, DO

3. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

We have one DO (out of 7) in my year at Duke, and we matched 1 DO (for 6 spots - a long story) this year. I think that that qualifies as "DO friendly" (whereas the rest of Duke certainly isn't).

4. oxford

oxford Member
    10+ Year Member

Quinn,
    I would never forget about USF. I am an alumni (college of public health). Definately top 5.

5. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo

:) I was just messing with you. You should consider a rotation here. Pretty nice month. 12-15 8 hour shifts. Not too shabby! Sounds like a mini vacation with me with a free LOR!

Q, DO

6. spoonfats

spoonfats Junior Member

Dude, how did you get your Maryland rotation set up already? I was told that they didn't accept applications until April 15, and mine would be returned if I sent it in earlier... you must have special powers.

7. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't make the mistake that I did focusing too closely on one geographic area, or putting your eggs in one (or even 2 or 3) baskets. Apply broadly, go to lots of interviews, and see what you like.

Any nontraditional student (IMG, DO, etc) should realize that EM is pretty competative and not take anything for granted. Don't assume you know where you want to go, or who will be interested in your application. Don't assume DO friendly equals interview, or that interview equals match.

Also, you may find as you go on interviews that what you thought you wanted isn't what you really want once you've seen the various programs out there.

8. *Wing of Zock*

7+ Year Member

Oxford,

Pay attention to what Beyond is saying. You sound a lot like me when I was in your position. You're a competitive applicant, but definitly don't limit where you apply. I applyed to a limited area, didn't go to some interviews for financial concerns, and didn't rank some of the programs I interviewed at--although I matched at a wicked sweet program, I know equally competitive students that didn't match because they limited themselves.

The better reason is that you may find something you like more. I had a rank list figured out as an M3 that I thought was set in stone--I went to some interviews at programs I knew nothing about and fell in love with them--the ROL I submitted was crazy different than what I had even before I started interviewing.

Go to as many places as you can rotate at, apply to at least 30 programs as a DO (this number does not seem as ridiculously high to me now as it did as an MS3--I only applied to 16). Go to every one of your interviews, THEN only rank the programs you'd be happy at.

I've got a child, too, but this is the one time when you do not want to be frugal--take out some more loans, or beg/borrow/steal, and you will do fine. You're on the right track

Wing

9. oxford

oxford Member
    10+ Year Member

I am definately keeping an open mind. I plan on applying to about 40 programs. My wife and I are willing to go anywhere east of the Mississippi. I would prefer the southeast but I'm definately not set on that location. At the same time I need to narrow down my choices on where I want to do away rotations. I completely agree that that once I begin interviewing my thoughts on programs will change. I am sure I will be suprised by many programs that I had previously not given a lot of consideration. It now seems to me from everyones advise that doing a second away rotation can only help me. Thanks a lot for all the input. Keep it coming. Spoonfats, after rereading my original post I guess I misspoke. My application for UM is sitting in our student services office waiting to be sent. I was trying to set up the scenario assuming that I will be able to do an elective at UM. I lack any special power!!

10. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo

Wing and Beyond give great advice. Especially the "DO friendly" does not mean interview, and interview doesn't equal match. Even though my program, USF, will have three DOs out of twelve next year, the competition was pretty stiff, especially for a new program.

I applied to 40 (I think 42) places as an applicant, and I had similar stats to yours.

Q, DO

11. oxford

oxford Member
    10+ Year Member

After all the advise I think I will probably do a second away rotation. Which now brings up another question. It is obvious that as a student I haven't visited any programs. The only preferences on programs I have are based on location. Should I pick an away rotation based on reputation (ie a program with a well know PD) or pick it based on where I may want to end up some day. How did you guys decide on where to go? I have in mind several places I would be interested in going. Some based on the reputation of the program and others based on location. Thanks again for all the input.