EM Chances After Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isoval

Moving up the totem pole again.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm just going to throw this out on the table because I'm too lazy to make an anonymous account.

I got my USMLE scores back this morning and did markedly worse than my UWSA predictions; over 15 points lower than UWSA 2 and 20 lower than UWSA 1.

How realistic is it to match into Emergency Medicine with a 224 or should I start putting my eggs into the Internal Medicine basket?

I'm still a little shell-shocked by the score. I do not have COMLEX yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you should be fine. EM likes Step 2 over step 1 anyways.

Alright, I'm just going to throw this out on the table because I'm too lazy to make an anonymous account.

I got my USMLE scores back this morning and did markedly worse than my UWSA predictions; over 15 points lower than UWSA 2 and 20 lower than UWSA 1.

How realistic is it to match into Emergency Medicine with a 224 or should I start putting my eggs into the Internal Medicine basket?

I'm an MD student but I'm in the same boat. Heavily debating just applying IM at this point

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity what do you think happened that caused that score discrepancy?

I think that’s fine. I’m not in EM but I have a lot of friends who are and applied with similar stats and matched top 3.

That being said, IM is absolutely becoming more competitive — at least the top/above average programs. On the other hand, smaller to midsize community programs are very attainable with that score. That’s just my input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that’s fine. I’m not in EM but I have a lot of friends who are and applied with similar stats and matched top 3.

That being said, IM is absolutely becoming more competitive — at least the top/above average programs. On the other hand, smaller to midsize community programs are very attainable with that score. That’s just my input!

Do you think a university IM program would be doable?

Always thought that 225+ was good enough for EM especially at community programs, EM likes step 2 and SLOE's more anyway, for IM it should be good enough for low tier university and community programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you think a university IM program would be doable?

Yes but what I’ve realized after applying to residency is there are low tier university and high tier community, if that makes sense. Some community programs give you some pretty great experience while there are some university programs that are meh. So in the end it’s absolutely up to how you feel about what they offer - is it more inpatient or outpatient electives you want? Do they give you a huge educational stipend and resources or relatively less so? Is the patient population mostly Medicaid or more wealthy families? All of that isn’t directly related to rank or status and more if it’s in line with what you’re looking to do after training.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes but what I’ve realized after applying to residency is there are low tier university and high tier community, if that makes sense. Some community programs give you some pretty great experience while there are some university programs that are meh. So in the end it’s absolutely up to how you feel about what they offer - is it more inpatient or outpatient electives you want? Do they give you a huge educational stipend and resources or relatively less so? Is the patient population mostly Medicaid or more wealthy families? All of that isn’t directly related to rank or status and more if it’s in line with what you’re looking to do after training.

I see what you mean. Thanks so much for your insight!

And ditto with everyone else! I'm still a little surprised I scored so far under my practice tests, but you guys have made me realize it isn't, in fact...really all that bad?

Much love to you all!

I know multiple DOs that matched university EM with sub 230 step scores. You will match fine as long as you do well on your sloe and step 2.

Reactions: 1 users
Got 27 points below my UWSA2 (256 -> 229). We just gotta continue grinding until Step 2 is done

Reactions: 1 user