EM Combined Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smileyfree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any combined EM/Family Med residencies. I know there are some EM/IM & EM/Peds, but i'm having trouble finding info on family med. I was told that they do exist. Anyone have any info?

Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Smileyfree
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any combined EM/Family Med residencies. I know there are some EM/IM & EM/Peds, but i'm having trouble finding info on family med. I was told that they do exist. Anyone have any info?

Thanks a ton!

As far as I know, there aren't any yet.

mike

I know of 2, both 5 yrs, and both D.O.
st barnabas in the bronx and pontiac hospital in michigan. I think there are a few others. you can find info on all do em residencies at www.acoep.org
good luck-e
HERE IS THE INFO ON THE ST. B PROGRAM FROM THE ACOEP WEBSITE:

NYCOM/St. Barnabas Hospital
Third Avenue & 183rd Street
Bronx, New York 10457
Phone: 718-960-6103 Fax: 718-960-6125
Program Director: Beth A. Longenecker, D.O.
E-Mail Address: [email protected]

Base Hospital: St. Barnabas Hospital

Emergency Visits: 82,000 Level I Trauma Center

Beds: 458

Track Internship Positions: 12 EM emphasis internships available

Emergency Medicine Positions: 36 positions approved and funded; EM/FP; 8 positions approved
and funded; EM/IM: 8 positions approved and funded

Affiliated Training Sites: New York City Poison Control Center, Bellevue Hospital, Christiana
Hospital, Union Hospital, Brookdale Hospital, Jacobi Hospital, Lenox Hill Hospital, Lehigh Valley
Medical Center.

Educational Activities: Wednesday conference, 7A-12 Noon, mini
conference-Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday-trauma conference-once/month, one publication per
year, SAEM Conference, ongoing research projects, training of paramedics.

Additional Activities: BCLS Instructor, ACLS Instructor, ATLS Provider, PALS Instructor, Ground
Ambulance Ride Along.

Benefits: Insurance, including family members, medical, dental, prescription, optical professional
liability, free meals, parking, lab coats, and laundry service.

Salary: OGME1 $39,500
OGME2 $42,500
OGME3 $45,500
OGME4 $47,990
OGME5 $51,850
Chief Resident(s) with administrative duties +8%

Scheduled Rotations (subject to change): Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine/Trauma,
Pediatric EM, ICU, Neurology, Infectious Disease, Orthopedics, Anesthesiology, EMS, EM/Trauma,
Pediatric EM, EM Administration, Research, Shock/Trauma, Toxicology, Elective, Neurosurgery, OB

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a ton emedpa! A huge help. Have great day! :)

Why do FP/EM?? They're about as far apart in practice as possible.

FP: clinic, long-term care, preventative care

EM: ER, acute care, trauma

Sure, both deal with the whole range of patients and complaints, but do you really think that you'll want to practice both EM and FP? True, FPs used to (and still do) work ER shifts, but that is changing and probably will be unusual in another 10 years (especially in urban centers). Most of the EM candidates that I know would shoot themselves if they were sent to FP clinic. Most FP candidates that I know don't want to deal with the stress of trauma and aren't interested in living with the odd-ball hours of real-life EM for their professional lives.

If you're worried about doing EM and burning out after 10-15 years on the job, there are tons of opportunities from Urgent Care (ER-light) to administration (or non-medical stuff altogether).

Just my $0.02