EM elective at UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LotaPower

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I must decide today at what UIC hospital to do my UIC EM elective. I don't have much knowledge about them, and was wondering if there were any residents or M4 outh there who would be kind enough to share some of their experiences while rotating at uic?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

LotaPower said:
I must decide today at what UIC hospital to do my UIC EM elective. I don't have much knowledge about them, and was wondering if there were any residents or M4 outh there who would be kind enough to share some of their experiences while rotating at uic?

thanks!

im a m4 at uic, i wouldnt recommend masonic. they do 12´s and they work as many shifts as at the other institutions, if not more. i think uic has bigger names, but from what people tell me, they get a better experience at mercy.

Mercy is generally considered the most enjoyable site. UIH is OK too, and probably you best bet for a strong LoR, but you have to 1st make sure that it's not the month that BOTH the PD & Assoc PD are on vacation (which is what happened to me last year).

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard Mercy will provide you the best experience but you're more likely to get a great letter from UIH cuz thats where the "heavy hitters" are at.

how true is this?

GiJoe said:
I heard Mercy will provide you the best experience but you're more likely to get a great letter from UIH cuz thats where the "heavy hitters" are at.

how true is this?

+/- to the above statement, yes it is true that the program director and some of the other "heavy hitters" are there, but it is also more difficult to get a great letter from them because it is generally difficult to work a large number of shifts with them. I got my letters from Mercy, and they got me great interviews at "top programs". More importantly, Mercy gives you a feel of how it is to work in an inner city ER, where as UIH can be less hands on, and more consultant heavy. I figure it is more important to get some practical experience, to know if you like community emergency medicine as opposed to emergency medicine at a university hospital; especially since most of us will end up in the community. If you have questions feel free to PM me.